Lenovo Thinkpad X201 WIFI not working/visible

tarmiricmi

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015
Hello,
I have Lenovo Thinkpad X201. It is an old machine from the today's perspective but it runs very well and I have upgraded it with SSD.

Since I bought it (used) WIFI module isn't working. I have bought another WIFI card and tried to replace it, but with no success. The problem is that the WIFI card isn't visible in device manager at all (bluetooth however is working).

It is not a big issue, I'm using USB WLAN card as a substitute but I'm curious what is happening there.

Solution
Could be 1 of two things I can think of, Something is wrong with the PCI-Express slot for the WiFi card (though odd cause BlueTooth is working)
2) Lenovo is known to black list non approved WiFi cards making them not work. I have had to BIOS flash one of my Lenovo laptops to use a better (non approved) WiFi card.

Snipergod87

Distinguished
May 26, 2009
Could be 1 of two things I can think of, Something is wrong with the PCI-Express slot for the WiFi card (though odd cause BlueTooth is working)
2) Lenovo is known to black list non approved WiFi cards making them not work. I have had to BIOS flash one of my Lenovo laptops to use a better (non approved) WiFi card.

Solution

tarmiricmi

Estimable
Aug 3, 2015

It seems that you are right regarding BIOS locking the non approved WIFI cards. Thanks.