Lenovo x220 ssd

shrikitiki2011

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
hello everyone

my lenovo x220 recently had a critical HDD failure. I think its time for me to switch to a ssd and I need help choosing one. I want at least 256gb of storage and might be looking at 512gb. I'm not sure if the current HDD drive silt is a sata 3 port. can anyone tell me if it is ? I have an i7 dual core. I know the ssd had to be 7mm thick but that's about it. I really need some help.

Thanks a lot

They don't generally release the sATA controller specs/generation info, but you can download and run HWInfo and it should tell you. :)

Given the age, I would imagine (and HOPE) that the primary bay is sATA Gen 3 (or sATA 6 Gb/s, if you prefer).

As for SSD recommendations, Samsung and Intel are among the best. Samsung seems to be the favored child when it comes to cost, performance, and reliability; just be sure to look at the 830 or 840 Pro series. Intel drives - in our experience - are the most stable and reliable, albeit at a premium.

shrikitiki2011

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

See the thing is i would check the sata controller specs but unfortunately my compute is dead. The HDD failed and so I'm looking for a ssd now.
what about using ocz vertex or micron m4 ssds

Aw... Well OCZ I can't say much for. By Micron M4 - do you mean the Crucial M4? They're okay, although they are not as reliable as some of the competition. If you're considering Crucial, you may want to look into the newer M500 series.

g-unit1111

Distinguished

I have a Crucial M4, have had zero issues with it. They're actually one of the most reliable manufacturers out there. I also have a OCZ Vertex 4 and I've had zero issues with it. The one drive I've constantly had problems with is my Intel 320. This is a perfect example of why I loathe store reviews.

I've heard good things about the Corsair drives, but we don't stock any and I don't have any personal experience with them yet.

It's sort of ironic how that works; very subjective! 4/5 RMA cases we've had that were SSD related were due to the M4 drives. I guess as the old adage goes: the exception is not the rule. :p I also heard the first production batch was more stable than the current.

They do have good benchmarks, though.

shrikitiki2011

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
yea I've read some reviews on the corsair and they've been good. i m debating whether to get the corsair neutron gtx or just the neutron.
both are great but the gtx runs some better hardware and makes it faster. what do you think.