Question Lenovo Y480 black screen problems with a twist

May 28, 2019
So yesterday my lenovo y480 laptop screen stopped working. However if I hook it up by vga to an external monitor it displays on the monitor but the laptop screen ALSO works. But as soon as I unplug the external monitor the laptop screen turns off again.

If I extend the monitor the laptop screen turns off. PC screen only it stays off. But set to duplicate it stays on.

So I know the screen works. But how do i get it to stay working without the external monitor?

May 28, 2019
No, I don't believe so. It doesn't appear stuck. Plus it would need both function and f4 at the same time being stuck.

I have noticed that function F2 turns the back light off which turns the whole screen off. But without the external monitor plugged in the screen just flashes but stays black. With the external plugged in it turns the screen on and off.

May 28, 2019
Well, I did a system restore to a point last week when it still worked. But the restore says it failed but my problem is fixed so not sure what happened. But its working properly now.

Edit its still having problems, this didn't solve the issue.

Last edited:
May 28, 2019
So its back to giving me trouble again.

It works when I have an external monitor hooked up. Then it runs in both the external monitor and the laptop screen, but as soon as I unplug the external monitor the laptop screen goes black.

I'm thinking a hardware issue, not a software one, because the screen won't even show the bios startup stuff, its black all of the time except when an external monitor is attached.