Lenovo Y50-70 cannot stay connected to Lenovo USB portable DVD burner

monty95

Commendable
Apr 3, 2016
I just received my Lenovo 50-70 from Lenovo Corp and ordered a new Lenovo USB portable DVD / CD burner (model GP60NB50) drive from eBay. It plays a CD with no issues and stays connected. When I load software however, the drive connects and disconnects constantly to the point that I cannot load any software.

I currently am running Windows 10 Home edition that came with the computer. have this plugged into the USB 2.0 port, but have tried it also from one of the USB 3.0 ports with the same issue

I opened Device manger to see what the device looked like as it was acting like this and as I hear the sound from the speakers, I see it disappear then reappear multiple times. I've been trying to load my Office 2013 or even Office 2010 registered program and sometimes I get as far as the Microsoft would like the permission... message, then more disconnecting and reconnecting to the point it won't load.

The device shows as HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GP60NB50 USB Device and the driver version that Device Manager shows is 10.0.10586.0 . When I try to update it, I get a message that the "best driver software for your device is installed"

So I'm trying to determine if the DVD drive is a defective product to return or is there something else to try. Anyone have any suggestions? I need an answer quickly. Thanks!

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting step that may help.
- First is to uninstall/reinstall the driver of the DVD drive.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall the DVD drive.
- Reboot the laptop once uninstalled and it should reinstall the driver automatically.
- After the reboot, do test it again and see if the same problem will persist.
- If it will still not work, do change some settings in Power Option.
- Right click on the battery icon on the bottom right hand corner then select Power Options.
- Click "Change plan settings" then "Change advanced power settings".
- Expand "USB settings" then "USB selective suspend setting".
- Set both On battery and Plugged in to disable.
- Click Apply and OK then test it again.
- If the same problem will persist do replace the DVD drive.

Erasmus654

Commendable
Apr 9, 2016

What you need to do is check that you're using the correct USB cable - it should be a very short one. I had the same problem, but fixed it by finding and using the short cable that came with it. Your average usb cable doesn't work with this.