Lenovo Y50-70 FPS Problems

Nightbolterz

Estimable
Sep 26, 2014
Hello, i have really annoying FPS problem! I'm playing with plugged in to my laptop with battery inside my laptop.
I tried to play on "Conservation Mode" when battery always charged on 60% and without when battery charged on 100%

My problem is: after some time like 2-5 mins i lose immediately 20-30 fps in Crysis 2 (From 55-65 stable to 35-45 stable FPS). for example In Day of Defeat: Source.
I lose from 120 stable FPS, to 40-50 stable after 5-10 mins of playing.

Maybe i need to play without battery inside my laptop? to avoid these FPS drops? (I'm using this laptop 99% at home as working and gaming machine)

P.S.

1) My settings are on "High Performance" in "Energy Manager".
2) All my NVIDIA drivers are updated.
3) I'm also using "GeForce Experience" and set my games to "Optimal settings"

Solution
The max temps you're showing there are a little concerning, I'm going to suggest clearing the min/max values, running another game and showing another screen shot - if max temps are near what they show there, heat can safely be called the problem. If the laptop is more than a few months old, cleaning of the vents (disassembly required for proper cleaning) should be performed (as a general maintenance thing). There are vids on YouTube that can help there, this shows how easy it is to remove the fans to clean the vents http://youtu.be/LCcWDOjhrUg?t=10m25s you'll need to go back to the beginning for step by step disassembly instructions to get to that point. If you do not want to do it yourself, a local computer shop should be able to do...

Nightbolterz

Estimable
Sep 26, 2014
That's my temperatures after 5 mins of gaming:

33vgk90.png

Bolin

Estimable
Sep 8, 2014
You shouldn't really be gaming on battery, it'll last like 40 minutes only and there's no way for you to make the battery give enough power to handle everything like when it's plugged in

The max temps you're showing there are a little concerning, I'm going to suggest clearing the min/max values, running another game and showing another screen shot - if max temps are near what they show there, heat can safely be called the problem. If the laptop is more than a few months old, cleaning of the vents (disassembly required for proper cleaning) should be performed (as a general maintenance thing). There are vids on YouTube that can help there, this shows how easy it is to remove the fans to clean the vents http://youtu.be/LCcWDOjhrUg?t=10m25s you'll need to go back to the beginning for step by step disassembly instructions to get to that point. If you do not want to do it yourself, a local computer shop should be able to do it - at least you'll know what's involved.
Can you tell, I'm really thinking heat here?

Solution

Nightbolterz

Estimable
Sep 26, 2014
Hello, C12Friedman

I figured out the source of my issue.. my laptop was on a towel on wood table, that's why my laptop was overheating :/
I removed that towel away, and the problem are gone! Now while i'm playing my CPU temperatures are 70-75C. On desktop 45-50c.

Thank for help :)

Very good, an often overlooked issue with laptops is the need to keep those vents clear (bottom intake and side exhaust) to provide the needed airflow for proper cooling

subduer

Estimable
Jan 30, 2015

HOLY FKING SHIZZLE, DUDE. a 100 degrees celsius !? Putting your laptop on a towel !? What was the thought process behind that action ... what were you trying to achieve ????

If you by some chance get to read this message for the love of all that is holy do exactly as i say !!!
>>IF<< you used your laptop like that at THESE temperatures while gaming for more than a week or two... Do a backup of all your data go to the retailer and try to claim that "Your laptop is constantly overheating" (lie) so they can change it with a new one.
Im telling you to do this because if you used you laptop like that for a longer time you may have already caused irreversible damage via thermal degradation which probably decreased your laptop's life span by 1-2 years.

Azka Irham

Estimable
Mar 3, 2015

Okay, Nightbolterz I knew your problem because I had Y50 too. It's come from 'GeForce Battery Boost'.

How to fix this problem:
1. Open Nvidia GeForce Experience app.
2. Go to 'Preferences' tab.
3. Click 'Battery' tab in 'Preferences' tab.
4. Set the 'Frames per second' slider to max (50) OR, uncheck 'Set frame rate target when on battery' box.
5. Close the app and finish!

*sorry for my bad english. I'm Indonesian.

mysclaes

Honorable
Nov 6, 2013
I know this is 2 months behind, but I got a solution for your problem.

As some guys said before; Yes your temps are kind of high, but I would say that they are acceptable, just buy an cooling pad for your laptop and hopefully your temps will drop.
http://ark.intel.com/products/78930/Intel-Core-i7-4710HQ-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_50-GHz]
As you can see at the specc-page, the maximum temp is 100c before the auto-protect-shutdown will kick in.
I think your problem with FPS drop is related to something called "CPU throttling". Thats a feature almost every laptop have these days, as soon as the temp hits like 55-65c the processor will be clocked down to the base clock. So after your 5-10 minutes of playing with 3-3,5ghz clock frequency, the CPU will get throttled down to 2,5ghz baseclock, and thats why you get fps drops.
Im using Throttlestop to fix this, but you must have a good coolingpad so you wont overheat the cpu. Hope this helps :)

Electonic

Estimable
Mar 10, 2014

Whoa! chill dude! Yes, very extreme, yes, very stupid, but he noticed a drop in performance, and we figured(C12Friedman) out the problem...We aren't here to act like that! Whats done is done, and we fixed it. And yes, he maybe lost a year or two of life, but honestly, what are you going to do with a 15 year old laptop anyway? watch movies on it?