Lenovo y50-70 LOUD FAN SPEED

Nykyta

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017
Hello, i've bought a lenovo y50-70 laptop 3 years ago and in fabruary i had my SSHD that died, so i replaced it with simple HHD, so then i noticed that when i put my laptop on metall/plastic/... table i could hear the vibration from my laptop.

So then i went to Service and they cleaned my Lenovo y50-70 from dust(they told me that there was alot of it) and changed thermal pase, but after that i noticed that i could actually hear my fan working, when i launch for example Google Chrome, it starts to spin faster for a bit, and when i launch games it starts to spin even faster, and before i didn't hear my fan spinning.

So then i thought that it was a fan problem, so i replaced it with the new one, but i could still hear this fan, even after replacing it.

In the service center they stressed my laptop and they said that temps were fine.

I am very confused, before the fan was very silent, and now it is not, i used to go to sleep with my laptop on, but now, i cant because i can hear the fan working. I dont know what is happening.

And about vibration thingy, i think it is because the new WD black HDD is a bit bigger then and SSHD, and it touches the bottom cover and makes laptop making vibration noise.

GPU: GTX 860m, Intel HD graphics 4600.
CPU: Intell core i5-4210H @2.90 GHz
HDD:WDC WD7500BPKX-00HPJTO(SATA)
FAN: DFS501105PQ0T
Windows 10.

Hdd will make more noise than a sshd as it is slower to access data. I am not sure what you mean by metal thing but I assume if it is not in the bay properly it will make more noise while accessing data on it. For game it will make noise if it is a slow hdd. My best suggestion is to make sure that is is the right size of the bay.

Nykyta

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

Hello,thank you for your answer, the HDD seems a bit bigger then the previous SSHD, i think that's why it is making a vibration noise, but what i am concerned the most it is the fan noise, while playing games it get's loud, i can hear for example: "shou shou shou shou" noise, but before i barely heard my laptop's fan while playing the same games.

It could be that the vibration is causing the fans to spin faster for some reason. Can you put the hdd in a different bay or do you only have 1 hdd bay? If you had an ssd, you could try and put that in and install windows and take out the hdd and see if it makes a difference assuming your laptop has an ssd drive.

Nykyta

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

Westernd Digital didn't send me any bay, currently i am using a bay from my previous SSHD, and my previous SSHD is currently broken. The strange thing is that, the fan spinning problem appeared like 2 month ago, and i've bought this HD in february.

After service center, when they changed my thermal paste, everything was working fine, but then like after 2 weeks i've noticed that in game my fans were running very fast, i didn't change anything, for examle fan speed settings and etc, but it seems like that fan started to spin faster on lower temps, and it is noisier than before, and it doesn't metter if i put new fan or the old one.
I dont know were the problem comes from, i was thinking that maybe in some Windows 10 update, they changed the fan speed, ot something in this direction.

And i am sorry for my bad english.

That has happened to me. Once a windows update removed my gpu driver and messed my whole pc. I had to use ddu to put the original driver to make it work. Then my best opinion is to send it back to the service centre as they have clearly messed something up. You can try and use ddu and see if that helps. Another thing is to check the drivers on lenovos website if they have it for the hdd just to make sure you are using the right one as windows can get it wrong.

Nykyta

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

Yeah i see you point, but the problem is that service center is temporary closed for now.
What is ddu? Never heard about it, how does it work? And what is the purpose?
On lenovo webpage there shouldn't be any drivers for the hard drive that i currently have, because it is not orginal one.
When i use scan utility on lenovo webpage it doesn't find any drivers for me, but i see that they do have some drivers, like:
- Nvidia VGA Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Notebook for 2016
- Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface (ACPI) Driver for Windows 10 (32-bit, 64-bit) - Notebook for 2016
- Intel Chipset Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Lenovo Y50-70, Y50-70 Touch, Y70-70 Touch for 2015
- Intel Management Engine Interface Driver for Windows 10 (64-bit) - Lenovo Y50-70, Y50-70 Touch, Y70-70 Touch for 2015

DDU is used to wipe the gpu drivers. Then you can install the driver back on knowing that the previous one has been installed. It will ask if you want to uninstall nividia, intel or amd gpu driver. You can try the vga driver to on lenovos website. Or it could be that the thermal paste was not put on properly.

Nykyta

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

Why can't i just do Nvidia clean install option? Tried to install VGA driver, it didn't let me.
But wouldn't i get high temps if thermal paste was not put on properly? Or can it affect somehow the fan speed, but not my temps?
Was thinking about buying new radiator, maybe radiator is the problem? And then puting new thermal paste.

Thermal paste can cause high temps if you put too much as it acts as an insulator. I am not sure what you mean by the radiator. Do you mean that you use your laptop near a radiator? If that is the case, then it can cause the fans to spin as it will be producing heat when it is on which will raise the ambient temperatures which will make the fans spin to cool it down.

You can use the clean option from nividia but ddu ensures that the current gpu driver is wiped out. What do you mean by "it didn't let me"? What error message did you get after you used the ddu? You should download the vga driver before you run ddu.

Nykyta

Prominent
Jun 2, 2017

No, by radiator i mean heatsink that coveres my GPU and CPU, as my keyboard is getting worm when i use it for gaming and stuff, so i thought that heatsink wasn't conducting hot air good enought and because of that, my fans start to spin faster.

As i told you before i am not getting any heat issues, so i dont think that it is the thermal paste.

Now i successfully installed Lenovo VGA driver for nvidia with nvidia clean install, but i don't see any differences.