Lenovo Y50-70 Wont Boot Properly

Joshbull623

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016
My Lenovo y50-70 was plugged and charging during a storm and I wasn't awake to know exactly what happened but the next morning the laptop wouldn't boot properly so something had to of happened. The laptop turned on, keyboard lit up, fans and HD spun, but nothing on the monitor. I tried connecting it to an external monitor to see if the laptop monitor was damaged and nothing would still display. I took out the battery and tried turning it on with just the power adapter encase the battery was faulty and damaged but it didn't do anything different. I even tried that hold power button after everythings unplugged then plug in adapter only and that didn't do anything. I took out both ram sticks one at a time then tried a ram stick from another laptop I knew worked and nothing different happened. At this point I figured my gpu, cpu, or motherboard is damaged in all cases requiring a motherboard replacement. I bought a new motherboard and installed it today so new mobo, cpu, and gpu but the same exact thing happens. Powers on, everything spins up, nothing displays on the laptop monitor nor external monitor. When I hit the power button it turns off right away. I installed a new SSD which I got windows installed on it from another laptop so I know the hard drive works with the new motherboard too so a bad harddrive can be ruled out. Any idea whats going on? I figure even if the monitor is shot on the laptop it should still display on an external so I am totally at a loss. Just unplugged everything from the motherboard and reattached it making sure everything was in but nothing changes, very strange. Any help is appreciated. Also note after it starts I can change the light intensity of the backlit keyboard or turn it off so it is responsive to some things it just will not display.

Since you already tried an external monitor, and that shows nothing as well. Plus from what you say, your system is turning on, just not display.

Then I would say your graphics care/GPU is toast and needs replacing. Which may well mean your motherboard will need replacing.

Joshbull623

Estimable
Jan 18, 2016

Thats the thing, I replaced the motherboard. And nothing changed, same exact symptoms as before as if I made no change at all. Ive never come across something like this before, usually a complete mobo replacement does the trick in a situation like this. Someone suggested on another site there might be something wrong with the video assembly in the lid but I can get the laptop to display on an external monitor even with the lid closed to default to the external, even tried unplugging the monitor connector from the motherboard so its only display option was the external. I am at the point already where its pretty much a new computer (replaced the motherboard which in turn replaced the gpu/cpu, replaced the hard drive, and replaced the memory.) Maybe a wire issue but a general inspection of them doesn't show any noticeable damage so I am not sure how to further test them. The motherboard is definately getting power, fans work fine, lights light up.