Lenovo Y50-70 Worth Buying?

Solution
I would NOT recommend you buying the Lenovo Y50-70 laptop. Too many bad reviews (mostly quality control hardware issues with the laptop's build or keyboard) put this laptop at the very bottom of the list for most people. That and the fact that it uses a TN panel for the display is just one more reason to look elsewhere. I would recommend you look to Asus (ROG), HP (Envy), MSI (G-Series), Alienware, or Aorus gaming laptops.

Warukyure

Estimable
I would recommend it. They're decently spec'd. You can play some games on med/high with that graphics card in there. The CPU pretty much matches up with the higher variants so its not worth it look for a better CPU. Plenty of memory/hard drive space too, would be awhile before this computer is completely obsolete.

Only downside, probably gonna be looking at 4 hours MAYBE 5 on battery life. Battery Life or Top Performance, usually one or the other. If you're on a budget and can't just up and buy a new one every 2 years then go with this.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
I would NOT recommend you buying the Lenovo Y50-70 laptop. Too many bad reviews (mostly quality control hardware issues with the laptop's build or keyboard) put this laptop at the very bottom of the list for most people. That and the fact that it uses a TN panel for the display is just one more reason to look elsewhere. I would recommend you look to Asus (ROG), HP (Envy), MSI (G-Series), Alienware, or Aorus gaming laptops.

Solution

Warukyure

Estimable
Are you planning on gaming with those? If you are either of those would be weaker than the Lenovo. The gigabyte while being close still has a weaker GPU compared to the Lenovo. The MSI has half the memory (though 8 GB vs 16 GB really doesn't make that much of a difference) and has the weakest GPU out of all of them. If you don't plan on gaming, just buy a simple laptop, and save the rest of the money to buy a PS4 or something.

TheHazzaaHD

Estimable
May 14, 2014

Of course I plan on gaming. With the Gigabyte Laptop I think I will just add a SSD and a extra 8GB's of RAM. But if you seriously look at some of the Lenovo Reviews, people complain about the screen and the noise of the hard drive. I would get the Lenovo but I cannot afford to swap out the Hard Drive for a 500GB SSD. :l

Warukyure

Estimable

TheHazzaaHD

Estimable
May 14, 2014

Yeah some people are just down right stupid when posting reviews. I have to say the Lenovo Laptop looks solid with the specifications it has! Would the Asus you linked perform just as good though?

Warukyure

Estimable
AMAZING (maybe)

I have an ASUS G74SX laptop right now, works well its a bit older and its graphics is only a GTX 560M but can still play WoW, SC2, Diablo 3, Age of Empires 3 when im super bored, and Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV at the same time (though FFXIV at 30 FPS). I got this laptop christmas of 2011, its been going strong and besides the one reformat due to a Windows Update issue, never had a problem with them. Most ASUS laptops have adequate cooling in them so rarely do they ever get hot, maybe like 30 degrees Celsius heat when underload/playing a game but thats literally nothing compared to other laptops shooting like 40+ degrees out the side with whiny noises too.

Depending though, some of them have literally shit for touchpads, which doesnt bother me since i have set it to disable touchpad whenever i plug in a mouse. (For the touchpad, overly sensitive and has that whole touchpad/palm/cursor flying all over "issue")

Oh and the actual answer to your question, the main specs are the same, sure you lose half the RAM and 25% storage space, but a) you REALLY dont need that much RAM, and b) trading in a 1TB 5400 RPM drive for a 750 GB 7200 RPM drive is gonna be faster.

TheHazzaaHD

Estimable
May 14, 2014

Haha! The Asus looks good too now, I have too many options at the moment :p Whilst I was talking to you I have found a company in America that ships Laptops WorldWide, have you ever heard of them? That's if you live in America xD

http://www.xoticpc.com/index.html

Warukyure

Estimable
Because of what your dollar is worth, (has lady instead of creepy old guys) you're able to go up to $1500 in terms of what you can spend on that site (well a bit less due to shipping/duties) but that opens the door up to a lot more options. Try to shoot for one that has the GTX 970M then.

TheHazzaaHD

Estimable
May 14, 2014

Sadly I don't have enough for a 970/980 GPU. I would need around $1500 which I wont sadly have after around $250 shipping cost :(

Adrian Perkovic

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
I personally have a lenovo y510p, now the y50-70 got a lot of upgrades but here is my exprience, its quiet hot under heavy load, SLI is terrible in some games (but y50-70 has a single card so you will have no problems with this), looks are nice, the sistem blazing fast, upgrade with a ssd for max performance, also sound is very very good, overall its a good laptop for a fair price, I say go with it

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Dude, you have a +3 year old gaming laptop which automatically disqualifies you from giving anyone any advice on what gaming laptop to buy today. Seriously, how can you give advice when you don't even own any of the products you are recommending??

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

...but then you have to experience that absolutely crappy TN panel everytime you game on the Y50-70...YUK! You are right though, you get what you paid for and there are a lot of compromises should one choose the Y50-70 as their mobile PC gaming solution. I for one say, "no thanks" and am willing to pay a couple hundred dollars more for much better quality and customer service :D

Keith Blowes

Estimable
Feb 18, 2015

Thats a bt Harsh given you are relying on second hand knowledge. Every machine you have recommended is vastly more expensive than the Y50-70. If you read the reviews properly then you would see most of the issues with the screen were solved with a software update (even on the QHD model) and keyboard issues are very much dependant on personal taste - personally i think that the ASUS ones bend way too easy (But thats from experience), and alienware for the price you can get one of these for, really? What dreamland are you living in? Ive checked the outlet centre and to get even close to this spec you have to spend at least another 300