Lenovo Y50, faulty hdd/sshd?

knuhuf

Estimable
Oct 9, 2014
Hi,

For just under a week ago I bought a new laptop, the Lenovo Y50. From the day I bought it I've been suffering from a highly fluctuating disk usage. Fluctuating from anywhere between 1-100, staying in the upper 80's quite often and thats from only using the browser or nothing. Every now and then I am experiencing freezing.

Besides that, my screen is sort of refreshing sometimes, Like a blink. AND I hear this constant ticking from what I think may be the fan.

Do you think I am suffering from a faulty disk and should return it?

Heres a picture from a fresh restart, after executing google chrome... http://i.imgur.com/brizrSv.png

You can check your virucide settings, notably scan and cache settings but I don't think that's it. A ticking noise of any sort would be cause for concern and RMA IMO since it would either be the fan or hard drive and an indication of abnormal function (both are needed to be working properly).

xavierr

Estimable
Oct 17, 2014
Mine was also having fluctuating disk usage and yesterday the hard disk crashed and appears to be broken. Still shows up as attached in BIOS, but it won't boot and examining it in Ubuntu booted from a USB shows the drive as having 0.5 kb os storage. Brand new and hasn't been dropped, so if you think there might be issue with the HDD, I'd recommend having a plan to return or replace it.

Mashfique

Estimable
Nov 23, 2014

I am having the exact problem! Did you get your one fixed? Did you get it replaced?

Battlereactiionz

Estimable
Jul 28, 2015

Same with me.. :C

joter

Estimable
Aug 18, 2015
Hi,

I've had exactly the same situation with my Y50. Got it just under 2 months ago and 2-3 days ago HDD started to make the click of death sound and in next ~12 hours it was basicaly daed (even when booted with gparted, I wasn't able to see the partitions anymore or at least the unallocated disk space anymore).

Yesterday I've returned my Y50 to the store I've bought it in so they could sent it to Lenovo service for HDD replacement. Apparently (as I was told by the guy in store) quite a lot of the Y series have really bad quality HDD and they are sending at leat 1 every week to lenovo. Hope that I'll be lucky enough and the replaced one will be OK (have to wait approx. 4 weeks for it to return though :( )

So in my opinion if your HDD is acting strange, and you see that it's usage is mostly at 100% when doing nothing, you should backup you data and have the HDD replaced or just return it and buy something non-lenovo if that's possible in your region.

Thanks!

PecoX HD

Estimable
Dec 16, 2015
Hello guys, i had the same issues as you described on my new Lenovo Y50-70 (non-touch).

(SSHD freezes, slow loadings, startup, screen flickers and blinking, total freeze when i disconnected AC plug) and so on...

The thing that helped me is completely uninstalling video drivers for Nvidia graphics card (i got the latest in the moment - 359.06). Then in Device Manager in Windows i uninstalled my Nvidia GPU (Nvidia Geforce GTX860M) along with the software. -> RESTART. Then i downloaded and isntalled older nvidia drivers 355.98 and problem was solved.

I recommend you to try these drivers but make sure that you uninstall everything from Nvidia before you install new (old) drivers.

I hope it will work for you as it is working for me

Bye