Lenovo Y50 opinions and experiences

hypernova

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2011
Hello,

I am looking for a gaming laptop around $1500, and I have nearly decided on Lenovo Y50 with the following specs (best model on Lenovo website, $1459):

Processor: Intel Core i7-4710HQ Processor (2.50GHz 1600MHz 6MB)
Display: 15.6" FHD LED AntiGlare Backlight (1920x1080) (It is matte according to reviews)
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M 4GB (is this GDDR5?)
Ram: 16.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz
Hard Drive: 512GB SSD
Battery: 4 Cell 54 Watt Hour Lithium-Ion

with my criteria being:

■ Ability to play newer games in medium-high settings (I'll build a desktop for more serious gaming anyway, but later) even on larger FHD screens for a period of about 2 years
    ■ Weight and size/ width (Asus rogs look like bulky suitcases to me)
    ■ Price (Razor blade looks so good, but no thank you)
    ■ OK Battery life (Around 3-4 hours browsing at least)
    ■ Good build quality (one of the reasons I don't like MSI GS60 Ghost, reviews say it's screen is so flimsy, it wobbles)
    ■ Upgradability not an issue, I will change it in 2 years and also get a desktop in some time anyway
    ■ FHD screen, matte, viewing angles should be okay (don't need to be stellar)
    (From what I can understand, the 4K option on GTX860M is mostly useless. Right?)
    ■ Good keyboard (not necessarily from a gaming POV). I am a programmer and don't want to lug around a separate keyboard with me

It would be great if any of you can share your experiences (first hand or otherwise) or your opinions about the laptop. I can find some reviews on youtube, but not any personal experiences from using it day to day like problems faced, quirks, etc. (maybe because it is too new?).

And feel free to suggest other laptops in similar price range if you think they better meet my criteria.

Thanks!

Ali Shayyan

Estimable
Jul 4, 2014
I haven't used Y50 but most of lenovo gaming laptop heat up a lot (commonest complain). OK to be true I think of you want to game on that budget , Go with alienware 17 , I have a knack for it :)

TRENDING THREADS