Lenovo Y50 or Asus ROG G750JM? Need help deciding on a Gaming Laptop.

Sean499

Honorable
Nov 7, 2013
Im looking to buy a gaming laptop for around 1200. I can't decide between the two. Weight and size isn't too much of an issue but smaller size would be a nice. What is more important is performance. Which of the two would perform better? I plan to use it gaming and want to get good/decent fps (40-60) on good/high settings (on a very low, low, fair, good, high, ultra scale) I also want it to be reliable, in that I won't have too many issues with it and if something did happen it wouldn't be too much of a hassle to get it fixed. Any other recommendations are welcome. Want to make sure I get a reliable brand.

LookItsRain

Honorable
Jun 4, 2013
The asus is pretty big, it would be a pain to carry it around. The y50 is smaller and has the same hardware, so both would perform around the same. Its a choice between a larger laptop with most likely better cooling, or a smaller laptop with worse cooling, thou i expect neither will throttle.

FatGirl

Estimable
Aug 11, 2014

y50-70 has two fans as well, not as good cooling though (no copper heat sinks etc.) as latest ROG series.

Trun187

Estimable
Aug 25, 2014
I've got both the Lenovo Y50 and the Asus G750JM, and i can tell you that the ASUS is a better built laptop for sure. The dual cooling fans are amazing and allow for me to get over 5k scores in Firestrike on my 860m (maxwell) with a 76% max. The screen on the Y50 is garbage. I ended up selling the Y50 to a friend of mine. The ASUS is just a better machine in all (hello, Republic of gamers?) its really up to you, but IMO go ASUS for sure. I game on 1080p and run High settings on it all the time (no need or ULTRA, unless ur doing World of Warcraft or something like that) Crysis 3, Watchdogs are all on high and im getting 35-48ish FPS, then again i OC'd my 860m. The only downside to the ASUS ive ran into is the DRIVER STATE POWER FAILURE error. I have since found a fix for this it seems the new Nvidia drivers cause it to do that. Go to ASUS website, find the laptop you got and download their driver on the list. BAM fixed. Like fatgirl stated, copper heatsinks FTW!

Nabell531

Estimable
Jan 1, 2015
I had a Lenovo Y50 and it had heat issues. I just got an ASUS G750JM-DS71 and it beats the Lenovo in every way except form factor. The added bulk is worth it for the cooling alone. I have never seen the CPU past 60 degrees C...