Lenovo Y50 vs Fangbook vs Asus G7xx

cia24

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2010
I am looking for a new laptop for work and gaming. Will be taken from home to work daily. Work involves photo editing. I am the lead for a Top seller eBay. Since I don't like to spend money on just work I would like to be able to game on the go or when I go to my girl friends house. I understand that my budget does not allow for the laptop that will perform like my desktop.

I have heard nothing but great things about the Y50, I would like to buy a laptop that I can downgrade to windows 7 with no issue I really don't like windows 8 I have tried it and just simply hate it. Also with a 860M does 4gb have a performance boost over 2gb reason I ask is the card doesn't seem powerful enough to even use 4gb.

Am I better off saving up more money for a better laptop or does the performance not really improve. I guess I don't expect this laptop to get 60 fps @1080p on new games that just not realistic.

If you have any better options please let me know.

Budget $800-$1300 Would prefer to stay on the low end.

For what it matters I get better deals then most people from these retailers: Bestbuy, Newegg, Tigerdirect, Ncixus and Xoticpc.

What is important to me:
SSD but can be added by me.
Nvidia 860M and higher
8GB of ram is fine
15.6 but could do a 17 inch
I do not like how plain Sager/Clevos are so those are not an option right now.

Laptops I have seen so far. I see there is a premium price on the Asus right now.

Cyberpower Fangbook 15.6 $833--warranty with this company sucks/rma is a joke
i7 4710
8gb
4gb 860m
240gb ssd

Lenovo Y50 non 4k---$899 looks the most professional amazing warranty service
i7 4720
8gb
2gb 860m
500gb hybrid

asus g7xx bestbuy $1349 don't understand why these run so much for their hardware but I love the look and I am elite-plus with perks from the General manager so I can do all warranty with Bestbuy.

Solution
I have two laptops - a 17.3 and a 15.6 model. The 15.6 is a lot easier to carry around and use on the road - it's not just the weight, the actual dimensions of the laptop make it difficult to find a case for transport. The extra screen size isn't that much more....

I have owned and used Dell, HP, ASUS, and Lenovo laptops - all are decent and rugged. ASUS and Lenovo both have excellent support. Dell & HP have fallen out of favor - I think they are over priced unless you are a corporate user with a corporate account with them (purchasing $500,000+ per year gets you good pricing).

I have replaced the hard drives in both of my current laptops with SSDs - the Lenovo was an easy job - the ASUS took a bit more time (some of the...

ronintexas

Honorable
Dec 10, 2012
I have two laptops - a 17.3 and a 15.6 model. The 15.6 is a lot easier to carry around and use on the road - it's not just the weight, the actual dimensions of the laptop make it difficult to find a case for transport. The extra screen size isn't that much more....

I have owned and used Dell, HP, ASUS, and Lenovo laptops - all are decent and rugged. ASUS and Lenovo both have excellent support. Dell & HP have fallen out of favor - I think they are over priced unless you are a corporate user with a corporate account with them (purchasing $500,000+ per year gets you good pricing).

I have replaced the hard drives in both of my current laptops with SSDs - the Lenovo was an easy job - the ASUS took a bit more time (some of the connectors are a bit tricky on the ASUS - both have videos on YouTube on how to do it).

My suggestion is to watch the sales prices on NewEgg and other online retailers - when they come out with new models for laptops, the previous "generation" laptop can save $200 on a $1000 laptop.

Currently on NewEgg - the Lenovo prices are the best.

Solution