Lenovo y510p boot problems and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013
My son tells me that he experienced a BSOD and couldn't boot his laptop. When I checked it out, there were these EFI boot errors:

Windows Boot Management boot failed
Checking media [Fail]
EFI Network 0 for IPv6 (B8-88-E3-91-96-B20 boot failed
Checking Media [Fail]
EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (B8-88-E3-91-96-B2) boot failed
Lenovo Reovery System boot failed.

After that this shows up next:

Default Boot Device Missing or Boot Failed.
Insert Recovery Media and Hit any key
Then Select Boot Manager to choose a new Boot
Device or to Boot Recovery Media.

The only boot options were the two EFI options for IPv4 & IPv6. Both failed. I finally figured out how to get into the BIOS (the little 'Novo' button on the left side). I changed the Boot Mode & Boot Priority from "UEFI" to "Legacy" options.

OK - I managed to boot in once but there's a quick 'check cable connections' message that appears before the Lenovo logo during the boot sequence. The boot sequences varies in speed - sometimes its like normal & other times slow as molasses.

Am I to presume that the hard drive is dying? Besides backing up data, what should I do? Can I run some diagnostics or update anything to help? How can I tell which hard drive is dying? Is this the fault of a crappy laptop?

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

I ran Seatools and it passed all the tests (except for advanced, which I did not do). Sounds like the drive may be ok?

If the drive is ok then there must be something up with the laptop itself?

Arp Laszlo

Honorable
Aug 12, 2013

It's about 1 1/2yo, should be out of warranty. I'm not averse to getting inside at all - back in the day I used to build my own desktops. I tried salvaging an old laptop last year by replacing the fan so I'm good with it.

This one threw me for a loop - I don't know what those EFI errors even mean. I too was not expecting the HD to pass. Do you have an idea why switching the boot options in the BIOS to legacy options helped?

Status
Not open for further replies.