Laptop was bumped and now is not fully starting up.

Boulder119

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
My laptop (a Lenovo Y510P) recently took a hit. It immediately shut down and now it is having trouble completely starting up. When I hit the on button, the fans start and the keyboard lights up but the screen doesn't do anything. I have already dissassembled it and made sure that everything was plugged in and looking fine. I discovered through experimentation that booting up without he hard drive does result in the screen working, but it just says things like "EFI Network 0 for IPv4 (xx-xx-xx-xx-xx-xx) boot failed" and so on. What should I do?

I agree - most likely victim of a bump is the hard drive, it's the most delicate part in your laptop.
Also agree you should take this opportunity to replace it with an SSD, buy the largest capacity you can afford.

Hopefully you already created a set of factory recovery discs (and kept your data backed up) in readiness for such an event as this.

Boulder119

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
Thanks for the responses guys. This has definately shown me that I need to buy me an SSD once I have the money to, but I have just made a discovery. First a little background info, my laptop model has a second graphics card that can be plugged in and unplugged from it's pcie relatively easily. The computer starts without the card being plugged in, but not with it. So what should I do now.

Boulder119

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
I haven't tried putting the drive in another computer, but I think you are right about the hdd being the problem. The hdd messed up so I just reset my computer. So far, the hdd hasn't failed again yet, but installing windows 10 is giving me some trouble.