Lenovo Y510p FPS drops/CPU usage spikes.

Mordochan

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012
Hey guys, I've had the lenovo Y510p for a while now and have been gaming on it the whole time i've had it. All of a sudden, i've been getting fps drops on games like BF3 and Skyrim. I've been monitoring it for a while and i've found that there are cpu usage spikes when the fps drops happen, but the gpu usage drops. There hasn't been any processes that have been eating up the usage that i've found. My specs are- Intel i5 @ 2.5mhz. 6 gigs ram. 2 nVidia gtx 755m's in SLI. Windows 8.1. I tried rolling back the nVidia drivers, but it didnt help. I currently have the 337.88 geforce drivers. There also haven't been any constant heat issues with the cpu/gpu. Thanks in advance. i really want to get this worked out.

Solution
Check temps with HWMonitor or another software (SpeedFan, etc) but don't ignore it because your laptop may be damaged. And if its a heating thing try to resolve it asap (cooling pad and/or repasting).

My laptop started doing that and I didn't do anything, then after 5 months that I had it the HDD burned. It was never the same again.

Felipe259

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
Download the HWMonitor to check the temperatures when the problem happens. Your best bet is overheating! How long have you had the laptop? After some time the thermal paste of the CPU and GPU tends to lose its efficiency, specially when you are always on high temps and it could be dust inside the laptop too.

Anyways check the temperatures to be sure! If it is: cleaning your heatpipes, vents, etc. and repasting the CPU+GPU with a better thermal paste would totally resolve it.

Mordochan

Honorable
Nov 12, 2012

I've had it about 3 months. The temps arent constantly high, but they fluctuate a lot. I recently opened it up and i didnt see any dust or anything. I use it sitting at a desk but i dont have a cooling pad or anything.

Felipe259

Estimable
Jul 17, 2014
Check temps with HWMonitor or another software (SpeedFan, etc) but don't ignore it because your laptop may be damaged. And if its a heating thing try to resolve it asap (cooling pad and/or repasting).

My laptop started doing that and I didn't do anything, then after 5 months that I had it the HDD burned. It was never the same again.

Solution