Lenovo y510P, graphic card issues!

SirSebbson

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015
Hi!

Long time reader first time poster.

So to the problem.
I have a Lenovo Y510P with the dual GT755m graphic cards.
I've had the computer for about two years and it has been malfunctioning since I got it. (didn't have time or money to get it fixed and was in desperate need of a pc. Kinda regret it now when my warranty has run out..)
Anyways!
The problem is that as soon as I do anything that requires even the slightest gpu power it crashes and i get the "display driver stopped responding and has recovered" message.

I've tried as many display drivers as i could find.
Different operating systems (currently on windows 7 ultimate)
Opened it up a dusted it out.
I went into device manager and disabled the primary gt755m but that only resulted in that the integraded gpu replaced it and my secondary gt755m got "windows has stopped this device because it has reported problems. (code 43)"
It doesn't matter if i run with or without SLI or how i dedicate my PhysX.

I haven't had any issues with heat. Sure it runs hot when i have it in my lap but as for gpu heat when my laptop is on my desk. It peaks at about 60-70 degrees celsius at most and around 40 degrees when it's just idle.

I just want to know if there's anyway to "locate" the problem or should i just assume that my graphic card is defect?

Sorry for any misspelling (English isn't my first language) and for my lack of computer knowledge.

Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver.
- Open Programs and Features and uninstall anything related to NVIDIA graphics.
- Download and install the latest driver from the manufacturer site.
- Here's the link: http://www.nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed reboot your PC for all the changes to take effect.
- Lastly, do try to adjust the power management of NVIDIA to maximum performance on both battery and plugged in.

SirSebbson

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

Hi!
Thanks for taking the time to answer!

I tried it and it didn't change a thing sadly..

I even did a clean install of my operating system a couple of days ago without any luck.

If this happens with new OS and on drivers from Lenovo (not nVidia, use Lenovo drivers) and system is clean, very likely the video card is bad.
Should have had it checked when it was in warranty, you will need to get a new motherboard now to troubleshoot it further or to get a working system.

SirSebbson

Estimable
Oct 28, 2015

Thanks for your respons!

Yeah i kinda figured as much.. :/

Just wondering, why would i need to get a new motherboard to troubleshoot further?
I thought the only option now is to get it fixed by getting a new graphic card?

If the video card is replaceable, you can try replacing it. Most laptop video cards, even faster ones, are soldered to the motherboard. And you have dual cards, so that ads a bit more issues, would your system run on just one? Or do both need to be good? If it can't run on one, how do you find out which one to replace? Do you need to buy two new cards to test?

Did you check with Lenovo support or check their support site for a FAQ or forum replies from them about your system?