Lenovo Y510P - Moving OS to SSD - Advice Please

SnapperTrx

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015
I have a Lenovo Y510P. It has both a 1TB hard drive as well as a 24GB SSD (M.2) for cache. The SSD is having issues and causes system errors in Windows 8.1when it is enabled. I am going to replace it with a 256GB SSD and would like to reinstall the whole system with the OS on the SSD. Has anyone done this before? Do you have any recommendations or suggestions about the process? Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.

SnapperTrx

Hello SnapperTrx

Most new SSDs come along with a built-in cloning program. If yours didn't, you can use Acronis TrueImage to clone your HDD and then restore the cloned image to your new SSD.

This thread explains everything about the process and also has links to other threads for additional tips.

Hope this helps.

Good Luck!!

SnapperTrx

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

Ack, I really worded the topic wrong. I don't want to MOVE the OS from the HDD to the SSD, what I meant was I want to MOVE the laptop from booting from the OS on the HDD to a fresh install on the SSD. My bad.

Hello again SnapperTrx

Can you please try this and see if it works?

> Sign-in or log on with administrator account.

> Open the Run command box. (Press Windows + R keys.)

> Type the MSCONFIG command and hit Enter.

> In the System Configuration box, go to the Boot tab.

> From the list of installed operating systems, click to select the one that is installed on the SSD.

> Click the Set as default button and accept any conformation if/when prompted for.

> Click OK and then restart the computer.

Hope this helps. :)

SnapperTrx

Estimable
Jul 23, 2015

There is only one operating system installation on C:/WINDOWS. I have not yet purchased or installed the new SSD.

Hello again SnapperTrx

In that case, you can remove the existing hard disk drive from the laptop while installing the new OS on your SSD and the laptop should always boot from the new operating system. If it doesn't, you can follow the instructions given earlier in this thread to bring your new Windows on SSD up and running.

Hope this helps.