Solved! Lenovo y510p Screen Replacement issue

Oct 7, 2018
Good evening folks,

I'm desperate for help! My laptop has been with a shattered screen for years, and in that time I've used an external monitor with a VGA cable.

Recently I removed the screen and carelessly pulled the plastic lid back too quickly, causing the plastic hinges, but not the metal hinges, that frame the screen to break.

I am concerned that that may have caused an issue. Because I tried to use my laptop without a screen and instead if displaying on the external monitor as normal my external monitor repeatedly flashed on and then displayed 'no signal found' before darkening again. The screen repeatedly did this for hours before I powers the laptop down.

I ignored this issue and finished the screen replacement. Now with the new screen in I powered it on and noticed the red LED backlights on the keyboard are not lit, and the screen itself is lit but it never seems to progress in the startup. I never see the Lenovo symbol or anything.

Did I pull a cable I shouldn't have during my repairs?

Stupid windows 10 seems unnecessarily complicated to enter the BIOS. I tried holding f2 on power up to no effect.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much..

Solution
You probably did pull a cable and if it's the ribbon cable from the screen to the motherboard, it would prevent the external screen working because the circuit is broken.

The one thing for which we can't blame Wndows 10 is the BIOS not starting. Without that, Windows doesn't even get to start. Some systems require Delete or Escape instead of Function 2.
You probably did pull a cable and if it's the ribbon cable from the screen to the motherboard, it would prevent the external screen working because the circuit is broken.

The one thing for which we can't blame Wndows 10 is the BIOS not starting. Without that, Windows doesn't even get to start. Some systems require Delete or Escape instead of Function 2.

Solution