Lenovo y510p Ultrabay graphics card overheating for no known reason.

spartin18815

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015
I am currently using my Lenovo y510p as my primary PC while I repair my desktop. Two days ago I noticed that it had gotten very hot for no good reason. After updating and restarting a few times I found that the secondary, ultrabay, GPU was running hard at high fan speeds along with sitting at 93deg Celsius, even if just left idle after startup. The only way I have found to stop it is to disable it. The primary GPU is working normally.

Any help or advice?

Hi,

First thing you might want to consider doing is to clean the inside of your laptop and make sure nothing is stopping the fan from spinning freely like dust. Next to apply a new thermal paste onto the CPU and GPU and that should help a lot in cooling down your laptop. Lastly is to update the graphics card driver to the latest one out there. Here are the steps on how to properly update the driver of your graphics card.
- Uninstall the graphics card driver from Device Manager and in Programs and Features as well since it should have something related to NVIDIA in there as well.
- Once uninstalled download and install the latest driver from NVIDIA support site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Use the Auto Detect feature so they could give you the latest and accurate driver for your graphics card.
- Lastly reboot it once the latest driver has been installed.

spartin18815

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015

I can try re-updating, but I believe I was on the most recent update and someone advised downgrading, to unfortunately no success. I will try updating again and seeing how it goes.

Also, I have cleaned the fans, but the direct problem isn't the heat necessarily. It's that in a short amount of time my Ultrabay GPU will heat to 90deg C or more with the fan roaring, all while the primary GPU is at 48deg C and the computer is running minimal programs, if any.

spartin18815

Estimable
Apr 17, 2015

I can try re-updating, but I believe I was on the most recent update and someone advised downgrading, to unfortunately no success. I will try updating again and seeing how it goes.

Also, I have cleaned the fans, but the direct problem isn't the heat necessarily. It's that in a short amount of time my Ultrabay GPU will heat to 90deg C or more with the fan roaring, all while the primary GPU is at 48deg C and the computer is running minimal programs, if any.