Lenovo Y510P won't connect to Visio M43-C1 4k TV

mafrank101

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
We have a Visio M43-C1 4K tv that will connect easily with several laptops, however when we use our Lenovo Y510P laptop, it won't display anything (using HDMI). The Lenovo has a GForce GT 750M graphics, and a native resolution of 1366x768, running WIndows 10. We have tried multiple resolutions, HDMI ports/cables. The laptop also connects to another TV (Toshiba), and to an external monitor. When we plug it in the TV is blank except for it states HDMI at the top, and flashes "2160p". I presume the laptop isn't displaying 2160p, so I think there's something wrong in the communication between the two. I've run out of places to look - any ideas are appreciated.

Thanks

Hi,

According to the specification of your laptop its resolution can go up to 1920x1080. Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- First is to make sure your resolution is set to 1920x1080 then test it.
- If it doesn't work try to uninstall/reinstall the graphics card driver.
- Go to Device Manager and uninstall NVIDIA graphics driver.
- Uninstall anything related to NVIDIA in Programs and Features.
- Next is to download and install the latest driver from the manufacturers site.
- Here's the link: nvidia.com/download/index.aspx
- Once installed do reboot your laptop then test it again.
- Press the Windows key + P at the same time and select between Duplicate or Extended display.

mafrank101

Estimable
Feb 7, 2016
Thanks for the response. We were able to get it to connect at 1080p with the TV last night, however whenever most Steam games are opened, they try to revert to the 2160 4k resolution, thus blanking out the screen. We looked on the Nvidia site for the GPU (GT 750M), and it states that it should be able to handle 2160. Maybe it can't?

We uninstalled anything Nvidia we could find, and then reinstalled the driver from their web site. The driver version was the same version that was on there previously. We didn't notice a difference.

One thing that is a little odd is that sometimes if the TV won't display an image, if we plug in a VGA cable to an older PC monitor, then the TV image will come on. I presume the graphics are being dumbed down to the PC monitor's resolution, but it might be a clue.

Any other ideas?

From the Nvidia site:
Display Support:
YesH.264, VC1, MPEG2 1080p video decoder
Up to 3840x2160LCD – eDP 1.2 support
Up to 1920x1200LCD – LVDS support
Up to 2048x1536VGA analog display Support
Up to 3840x2160DisplayPort Multimode Support
Yes