Solved! Lenovo y560 ram recognition issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigskyguy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
I have a Lenovo y560 with 8 gigs of ram, two 4 gig chips.When I go to accessories, then system tools and then to system information it says I have 4 gigs of ram. I installed CPU-Z and it shows 4 gigs in slots 1 and 2, and displays the make, model number, and serial number for each chip. I have taken the chips and swapped the slot locations and the computer still shows 4 gigs of ram. I installed a program that displays the percentage of ram and cpu being used and it isn't uncommon to be using over 90% of the ram.I am a novice but it seems like the computer isn't recognizing one of the chips. I have avast anti virus and iobit malware software installed. I really don't know what to do and would appreciate any help you can provide. Thank you!

bigskyguy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2011
The max memory settingin msconfig is 4095 MB. I rebooted to bios and it also showed 4GB. I also thought about a failed slot but when I run cpu-z it shows the information for both ram chips. If the slot failed, I didn't think it would show any data for the slot but since I'm not really knowledgeable about this, I'll take your word and advice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Laptop Tech Support 5
N Laptop Tech Support 0
S Laptop Tech Support 1
Beginnerslug Laptop Tech Support 1
magicalfry Laptop Tech Support 1
Y Laptop Tech Support 0
plasmadiver Laptop Tech Support 0
fughyumi Laptop Tech Support 2
Fa11schirmjager Laptop Tech Support 0