Lenovo y580 Bios update failed, only black screen.

apologetic_zombie

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
So I recently tried updating my bios using the tool off of the lenovo drivers and when I did it blue screened and stayed that way for about an hour. So I unplugged it and took out the battery. Now I try powering it up, it turns on but no POST. Just a blackscreen. How can I fix this?

Solution
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start with a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug it's AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it.
- Next is to try to boot your laptop without its battery and just use its AC adapter.
- If this doesn't work re-seat the RAM. Remove the RAM sticks for a couple of seconds then re-insert them, making sure everything is seated properly.
- If this does not work and you can hear the laptop is on, but there is no graphics on the display, connect your laptop to an external monitor and see if it will display anything. If the external monitor displays your laptop's graphics your laptop screen may be faulty.
- Next to...
Hi,

Please do try these troubleshooting steps that may help in solving the issue.
- Start with a hard reboot, remove the battery and unplug it's AC adapter then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds then try booting it.
- Next is to try to boot your laptop without its battery and just use its AC adapter.
- If this doesn't work re-seat the RAM. Remove the RAM sticks for a couple of seconds then re-insert them, making sure everything is seated properly.
- If this does not work and you can hear the laptop is on, but there is no graphics on the display, connect your laptop to an external monitor and see if it will display anything. If the external monitor displays your laptop's graphics your laptop screen may be faulty.
- Next to try is to remove the CMOS battery for a second then put it back in then try booting it up again.
- If all these will not work and if your laptop is still under the factory warranty do contact Lenovo for a repair.

Solution

apologetic_zombie

Honorable
Jun 22, 2013
I was hoping I could get some instructions on how to flash my bios correctly. I attempted all these steps except the last which im attempting now.

*Update: The CMOS battery is soldered on. I just need to find the bios file online and flash, which I dont know how to do.