Lenovo y580 circular boots with diagnosing PC / repairing hard disk

Bigalmd

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
Before this Win 10 gave error message can't moun t drive. Removed drive attached it to USB data drive reader with no lu k. Tried Ubuntu Boot repair with no luck. Any suggestions greatly appreciated. PC came w Win 8 did online he hpgratex to Win 10 so have no install discs

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Hi there Bigalmd,

Obviously, the drive is in a poor condition.

What happened when you attached the drive with USB to another system? Was the drive recognized by Disk Management.

Basically, you should either use DOS tools or attach the drive to another system and use OS based ones.

Either way, you should firts use a data recovery one and a testing one afterwards.

Cheers,
D_Know_WD :)

Bigalmd

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
D_know
Drive is not recognized when connected to another PC via Sata to USB converter cabling/power cables. Which is why I tried Ubuntu Boot Repair and retried this to no avail.
TY for prompt reply, still googling for other options. There is Kroll Online but they want $700 to $1300 to recover data.
Al

D_Know_WD

Estimable
Is the drive recognized by Disk Management when attached externally and how? You can even try to attach it internally to a desktop machine.
In case the drive is not recognized by Disk Management then I doubt that you will be able to access the drive with software tools.

D_Know_WD

Bigalmd

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016

Bigalmd

Commendable
Aug 17, 2016
D_Know_WD
TY. Sanity check for me. I did find out that Kroll Online for $65 will perform diagnostics on hard disk and list all files recoverable, which I am going to use

Al