Lenovo Yoga 2 Battery Drains to 0% while Powered Off (Shutdown)

Status
Not open for further replies.

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014
Hello,

I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 13 (not pro). It is relatively new, I've owned it for about two months now. Everything has been working fine, and it's performance/speed has been great; however, recently the laptop battery drains completely after it's been powered down.

Whether the laptop is in sleep mode or I shut it down, it loses complete charge, and I have to plug it in in order to turn it on again. This is turning out to be a very annoying problem, as I don't always want to have to plug in the laptop to power it on. And also, I don't want to keep the laptop plugged in all night as I heard this can damage the battery.

Granted, if the laptop is left off for only an hour or so I still have some power left (but the charge still drops a significant amount). But if I shut down the laptop the night before at full charge and then turn it on in the morning, it will go from 100% to 0%.

All suggestions are appreciated. I would like to explore software fixes before replacing the battery itself. So far, inevitably, I have tried some power cycles because the laptop drops to 0%, I have done many power cycles going from 0% to 100%

Thank you so much!!

Solution
I had the same problem with my laptop. Follow the next steps and you'll solve the problem:

Go to control panel -> power options -> choose what the power buttons do

From there you can change what the power off or sleep buttons do. You can also change what your computer does when its lid closes.

Good luck!

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014

It happens in both scenarios. I put it to sleep by closing the lid and the battery drains to 0%. I power it down by clicking shut down from the start menu (Windows 8 by the way) and battery drains to 0%.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

go to your power management settings (control panel > power options)
change the default behavior when you close the lid of the laptop to "shut down" (i'm sure it's set on sleep, or hibernate)
check out what the power button is set to do... it might be set to hibernate or sleep instead of shutting down.
take your time, go through the advanced menu looking for power settings that indicate this laptop might be hibernating or sleeping rather then powering down.

when you think you've found everything, save and give it a shot.

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014

This was the first thing I tried to investigate to fix the problem but it didn't work sadly.

Also, I don't necessarily want to have to have to shut my laptop down completely each time just to avoid this issue. This basically takes away from even having a "sleep mode" and I find the sleep mode to be very handy from time to time. I know that laptops lose charge in sleep mode, but my laptop is losing charge at an astonishing rate in sleep mode. And what's more shocking, is it is also draining at an astonishing rate (in fact it is draining completely) when shut down, so shutting the laptop down is not even a fix to the problem.

I'm so confused what to do! :??:

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014

I'm wondering if this is the case though because the laptop was working fine for the first months and just recently this problem started. Additionally, the battery life is still very good after I charge it and unplug it. It is only losing battery in shutdown and sleep mode which is strange. If I am using it while it is on, it lasts for a long time still.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

well sleep mode is little better then just leaving your laptop on. Hibernate is ok, but if your battery loses charge while the system is hibernating you can run into some windows issues. Make sure your hard drive and monitor are turning off after a short time of inactivity, make sure your system is set to power down when you use the power button. and switch the behavior for closing the lid to hibernate mode... make sure you enable hibernate mode in the power features as well; make sure the wake on LAN option is turned off in your bios (i'd reset your bios to default settings actually) make sure you have the latest bios updates for that laptop, make sure all power saving options are turned on in the bios (they should be by default when you reset the bios to default settings)

if your laptop still has issues, i would manually turn off the wifi before hibernating and see if the issue goes away.

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014

Do you mind elaborating on how I can go about trying the BIOS suggestions you mentioned. I'm not the most tech savvy guy and have never ventured into the BIOS area before lol.

Will setting the BIOS settings back to default also fix the "wake on LAN" option. Where is that option displayed in BIOS?

Also how can I access BIOS lol

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
when you boot your laptop, right around the time the screen powers on there should be a "lenovo" screen that shows up for a brief moment before the windows8 load screen pops up, typically if you hit f2 when that lenovo screen is displayed you'll end up in the bios. if that lenovo screen isn't popping up that's because windows 8 isn't shutting down, it's going into a hybrid/sleep shut down which would explain why your battery is draining so fast and you should be able to change that behavior in your power options (windows 8 does this on DESKTOPS by default when you power them down, to save on boot times when you turn it on, this is one of the ways M$ cheats to make boot times quicker for windows 8)

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014

currently that lenovo screen is popping up just as you described, but I also do have the setting "turn on fast start up" enabled in power options. Is this bad?

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012
nope. as long as you're getting the lenovo screen your laptop is fully shutting down when you power it down.

so hit the f2 key a few times when that screen pops up, and you'll enter the bios. there should be an option to "restore defaults" give that a try, you can also look for power options to make sure the system isn't set to "wake" on LAN...

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014

Where are the power options in the BIOS screen? I don't see an option for those and can't locate the "wake" on LAN option.

Also, will setting my BIOS settings back to default change all of the power saving tweaks I made just now in "power options" (such as what the power button does, when to dim screen, what closing the lid does, etc.)?

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

it might change the lid and power button options. i'm pretty sure the monitor options are managed by windows entirely though. don't worry about wake on lan if you can't find it...

CPU Fan

Honorable
Jan 7, 2014

Aren't these located in the Advanced Options for the power profiles?

muzz17

Estimable
Sep 28, 2014
Thanks a bunch for all of your help!!

I just noticed something extremely interesting and wanted to know what you thought about it. So I've been using my laptop since 8:00am and the battery was just now starting to get low so I plugged it in...I plugged it in when the battery was at 23%...however, now that I've plugged in the laptop it says 0% available "(plugged in, charging)"

That is extremely strange because I know when I plugged it in there was 23% charge left. Now it's been "plugged in, charging" for quite some time but that percentage is not changing from 0%

Why is that when I plug in my laptop it is suddenly saying 0% available.

ingtar33

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

a couple of things can cause that. Mostly if your power brick isn't plugged in fully, you can get funny things like that.

lupuovidiul

Estimable
Dec 29, 2014
I had the same problem with my laptop. Follow the next steps and you'll solve the problem:

Go to control panel -> power options -> choose what the power buttons do

From there you can change what the power off or sleep buttons do. You can also change what your computer does when its lid closes.

Good luck!

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.