Solved! Lenovo Yoga 3 Pro 1370

JRHill02

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
I hadn't used the Tor browser previously and was experimenting with a way to bypass Paywalls. I had loaded the Tor browser and it was at the opening screen. The next morning there were a huge number of Tor windows open and the keyboard seemed like it had a stuck key and the mouse and touchpad were frozen. I had to force a shutdown with the power button. When I rebooted, I could not log into Windows 'cause the password field refilled as fast as I could delete the contents and my USB fingerprint reader wouldn't work. I tried a bluetooth keyboard but it wouldn't work/connect. I tried to enter the BIOS setup but I couldn't make any changes with an unresponsive keyboard.

I finally resolved the BIOS was corrupted or the keyboard had mysteriously failed. Later, I opened the case and disconnected both keyboard connectors and tried a boot. Same auto-repeating to the password field with the connectors undone.

Ultimately, even if the machine not repairable, I'd like to salvage some of the files on the SSD. Is there a recommended external housing that would accept the SSD? Is it even readable if I cant log into my Windows user profile on that drive? Lastly, is there any advice as to how to make the machine usable again? It has such a beautiful screen and served me so well - it would be such a wast to trash it....

BTW, as you can see this is my 1st post here. I've been to Tomsguide many times and have always been impressed with the content. Thanks, folks!

Last edited:
Solution
A bad update would not cause massive loss of files. Now something else on the system, bad program, virus, malware, etc. could cause it. So could a drive that is failing.

I would be sure they check the drivefor errors before you take it back. Don't want to pay for something that isn't actually fixed. And, either have them (or do it yourself once you get home) check the system very thoroughly for viruses, malware, bad programs, etc. The first two are very different and will usually require different programs to check. Unless you pay for a very expensive one that checks for both. As to programs, well your trying to bypass things and the use of the tor browser (you don't say which one) could also have lead to problems. Don't get me wrong I...

JRHill02

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
I had to force a shutdown with the power button. When I rebooted, I could not log into Windows 'cause the password field refilled as fast as I could delete the contents and my USB fingerprint reader wouldn't work. I tried a bluetooth keyboard but it wouldn't work/connect. I tried to enter the BIOS setup but I couldn't make any changes with an unresponsive keyboard.

I'm really surprised that no one has had a similar experience. Hmmm.

JRHill02

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
After time in the repair shop the closest guess as to what happened was that a Windows 10 update failed during the install. There was substantial data loss on the SSD. They have just about finished with getting it ready but with substantial loss of files. Dang. But at least it will be usable again as it was probably my favorite machine for many years.

A bad update would not cause massive loss of files. Now something else on the system, bad program, virus, malware, etc. could cause it. So could a drive that is failing.

I would be sure they check the drivefor errors before you take it back. Don't want to pay for something that isn't actually fixed. And, either have them (or do it yourself once you get home) check the system very thoroughly for viruses, malware, bad programs, etc. The first two are very different and will usually require different programs to check. Unless you pay for a very expensive one that checks for both. As to programs, well your trying to bypass things and the use of the tor browser (you don't say which one) could also have lead to problems. Don't get me wrong I am all for privacy but it can lead to a lot of problems.

Last edited:
Solution

JRHill02

Prominent
Dec 15, 2019
As to programs, well your trying to bypass things and the use of the tor browser (you don't say which one) could also have lead to problems. Don't get me wrong I am all for privacy but it can lead to a lot of problems.

This is a very rural area and I went with the best available option for service. Granted the explanation may not be completely accurate....

I have used the full version of Comodo all along and am careful about best practices with regard to internet security risks. In fact I have never had a problem UNTIL I initiated the Tor session. The browser was downloaded from the Tor Project. I now know there is a site with an "S" added to the URL and this is a dangerous download. I don't think I used this site but I guess I'll never know now. And the only reason I tried the Tor browser was to find out if I could get by some paywalls. I just wish there was a for-sure take away in all this for lessons learned.

BTW, thanks for your input.