Lenovo Yoga Flex 2 - 14 Display issue

thisismoun

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
Hi there,
I recently had this laptop just refuse to display windows on screen. The problem started about a month ago (the laptop's my sisters and she was visiting). It would display the lenovo splash screen with the little balls rotating at the bottom - a la windows loading - and then not display anything. The keyboard lights up, the power indicator light was on, but there was nothing on screen. Thinking it was a HDD problem, I went through the bios to check if the HDD was detected - and it was. So moving on thinking windows was just giving me issue, I just decided to nuke it and went through the process of reinstalling windows. Since it was a lenovo laptop, it came bundled with the onekey recovery software and I went from an updated windows 10 to running windows 8 on it. It worked fine after, I set it up and handed it back to her.

A week later, the problem arises again. Same issue, it just seems to stop working/ hang once the lenovo loading screen disappears. Since I live out of country, I wasn't able to help out and that's why it's been over a month and this problem still exists.

Anyway, since I'm back now I re-installed windows 10 on it once more, hoping for the best. I leave it to update windows as well as the drivers and after a while I notice the screen's gone black again. I reboot and once again, nothing. This time though, I tried turning on the voice narrator and I found out that I was in fact on the log in page and I could sign in with the password and everything. Following this, I tried connecting the laptop to another display via HDMI but it didn't show on the external display either.

So this is where I am currently. I don't claim to know even half of the the issues that plague a computer but usually a fresh windows install solves like 99% of the problems that happen to me. I've crossed out a hardware issue because I can navigate the bios, the recovery screen, the windows installation screen, etc. without any problem. It's only once it loads into windows that it happens. So any help would be appreciated, thank you!

P.S. I know it's quite a long read and I'm sure I've probably said a few things which really aren't needed to help diagnose the issue but I've added it for cohesion as well as to give you an idea of what all I've tried.
TL;DR Laptop refuses to display windows once loaded in, even on an external display. BIOS, Recovery page, Installation page, all display fine.

[Paragraphs separated by line-spaces for easier reading - - - Moderator]

Solution
https://xkcd.com/979/
I managed to fix the issue! Just in case someone runs into the same issue as I did in the future, here is what I did -
Opened it up, and did a bunch of things
1. Replace the RAM slot (I feel like this was the main culprit for the issue. I'm still keeping a close eye on the laptop as it's only been a few hours since I fixed it)
2. Unplugged the battery
3. Unplugged the battery on the motherboard (so cleared CMOS), I honestly don't feel like this was necessary but I did it cause I really had nothing to lose at that point. And held the power button down after doing both step 2 and 3 just to get rid of any charge.
4. Reseated the HDD, also just in case.

And that's it. Started it up, and the display's working fine...

thisismoun

Commendable
Jul 5, 2016
https://xkcd.com/979/
I managed to fix the issue! Just in case someone runs into the same issue as I did in the future, here is what I did -
Opened it up, and did a bunch of things
1. Replace the RAM slot (I feel like this was the main culprit for the issue. I'm still keeping a close eye on the laptop as it's only been a few hours since I fixed it)
2. Unplugged the battery
3. Unplugged the battery on the motherboard (so cleared CMOS), I honestly don't feel like this was necessary but I did it cause I really had nothing to lose at that point. And held the power button down after doing both step 2 and 3 just to get rid of any charge.
4. Reseated the HDD, also just in case.

And that's it. Started it up, and the display's working fine and I'm able to use it. It's only been a few hours at this point since I've fixed it so I can't say for sure if this is the 100% foolproof way nor do I know exactly where the problem was. But it's fixed for now! I'll update once more if I run into the problem again.

Solution