LG Admits Its Smart TVs Spy on Users, Promises Partial Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
The only way I'd consider a LG TV after this is if I put it behind a firewall that only allowed access to a whitelist of content providers. I am not a herd animal to be milked by advertising, "targeted" or otherwise.

skit75

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
Spy all you want LG. I only require that you openly disclose in common language what it is you are capturing and I want my hardware at half price since your cost to build the TV is now being subsidized by advertising.

clonazepam

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
That's BS about the metadata excuse. They send filenames to LG's server, then look up metadata for the names on LG's servers, then transmit the metadata back to the user? I call BS on all of that nonsense.

As they have supposed in the blog, they don't have to store anything on the server, as the log files contain most pertinent information that data miners would be interested in.

kathye

Honorable
Nov 21, 2013
uptil I looked at the draft which was of $8125, I accept ...that...my mother in law woz like they say realey earning money part-time from there new laptop.. there moms best frend had bean doing this for under 6 months and by now paid for the loans on there apartment and bought a great Alfa Romeo. Get More Info........ www.buzz16.com

destruya

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
The bigger issue is...

...if they're doing this on their televisions, what are they doing on their *phones*, especially since LG has one of the most stringent anti-root attitudes of all Android phone makers.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
"Oh shoot! They figured out that we're transmitting filenames! What excuse can we come up with for that?"
"How about that we're looking up *metadata*. Yeah! That's the ticket! We were trying to provide a useful *service* to the users!"

Anyone want to get in line to be "serviced"?

Status
Not open for further replies.