LG Optimus Pad Priced at €899 in Germany

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
"The crazy thing is, earlier in the year, LG revealed the recommended retail price for the device was €999, so this price from Amazon Germany is actually a hundred euro less than what LG announced in its press release"

What a relief! It's 100 Euros less!

What are these guys thinking. Is Nvidia's greed going to fail the Android Tegra 2 tablet?
For less than that I have a nice 13.3" laptop that I am capable to run Black Ops on, even Crysis with a real OS.
What's so costly about this thing that is 5 times smaller and 5 times less performant, that cannot run even Office.
I'm eager to buy an Android tablet but at 1/2 of this price. I'm not paying so much for something so disposable as this. If I have something like this I'd like to carry it around without worrying what's going to happen if I accidentally drop it or bump it.
I need to be sure that if I loose my device that I'll be able to easily get a new one without going broke.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Zingam[/nom]iPad 2 starts to look appealing already.[/citation]

It was always appealing to those of us who aren't one-sided.
All they have to do to draw me in is have the right price/performance, and almost NONE of the tablets on the market come anywhere near close to that.

Seriously my Tegra 2 AC100 cost me $300 (and comes with everything a tablet would besides gyro, compass, GPS and touchscreen), what the heck makes them so expensive?

Nothing, they just charge a lung and half your brain for it.

iPad = $300 to make
Xoom = $350 to make
LG Optimus = $380 to make
Dreampad = $70 to make

iPad costs = $440 here for low-end version
Xoom costs = N/A, EST $899 AUSD (not worth it)
LG Optimus = N/A EST $999 AUSD (Consider it has 3D camera which I would use, looks appealing)
Dreampad = $200

*End Rant*

Oh, iPad looks most appealing right now in comparison with the Android alternatives, the hardware doesn't justify the price enough to make it worth buying, especially when you could spend the same amount of money on a kickass system which can do much more, or a laptop more powerful.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Customers' "more expensive => better" logic is to blame here.
If someone with new product sets price that is far below typical price for tabs, it will immediately be "recognized" as lesser device by the customer with all the consequences.

Maybe Samsung could do it (selling nearly as many tabs monthly as Apple, I recall?).

CTPAHHIK

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
"Worth €900 to those of you in Europe and thinking of picking up a tablet?"

Absolutely not. Xoom pre-order is priced €510 right now.

G

This is a bit of a different situation, because it's a full platform, but the difference in price vs. cost isn't very surprising. Turn-around for products in the semiconductor industry are usually MUCH more than 10x the manufacturing cost.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Do you see now how awesome the iPad is? USD $1200 for a tablet? Are these people insane? PC fangirls just keep droning about overpriced Apple hardware but will probably try to find excuses for this.

candrwhite

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Do you see now how awesome the iPad is? USD $1200 for a tablet? Are these people insane? PC fangirls just keep droning about overpriced Apple hardware but will probably try to find excuses for this.[/citation]

What's funny is when you talk to an Apple fanboy about the overpriced Macs (and they are overpriced).. they tell you that you get what you pay for.

Now when someone else comes out with a more expensive tablet... it's just overpriced.

Cue the double standards.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]candrwhite[/nom]What's funny is when you talk to an Apple fanboy about the overpriced Macs (and they are overpriced).. they tell you that you get what you pay for.Now when someone else comes out with a more expensive tablet... it's just overpriced.Cue the double standards.[/citation]

You get exactly what you pay for, an overpriced aluminium box full of unadopted proprietary connectivity standards, underpowered hardware with a new name-tag and a child's version of linux. The real issue is not necessarily the justification of the high price, as that is simply impossible, its the skewed thought processes of the ones making themselves victims to such price tags.

OT: This thing is overpriced and won't sell in the face of the Xoom, Galaxy Tab 10.1 and the iPad2. 3D will NOT save this thing.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]candrwhite[/nom]What's funny is when you talk to an Apple fanboy about the overpriced Macs (and they are overpriced).. they tell you that you get what you pay for.Now when someone else comes out with a more expensive tablet... it's just overpriced.Cue the double standards.[/citation]

I wouldn't call an Android tablet a PC. It doesn't have anything common with a PC: hardware-wise and software-wise.

G

@killerclick

erm no, close to no one will buy this that has an ounce of common sense and no one with common sense will try to justify it's price tag either, a 3D capable screen isn't going pull the crowds, now Apple fanatics might go around and cut their nose of to spite their face, but normal people as much as they hate Apple are not in the habit of doing this

wawa sxm

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
[citation][nom]wasabiman123[/nom]LOL you can build a nice gaming rig with that money, jesus tabs are overrated as ... something overrated[/citation]

sure but that would a b**** to carry

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I see a failed product.

With Via, AMD and Intel working hard with making efficient processors soon x86 will dominate the tablet market.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Do you see now how awesome the iPad is? USD $1200 for a tablet? Are these people insane? PC fangirls just keep droning about overpriced Apple hardware but will probably try to find excuses for this.[/citation]
These prices are for Europe, not the USA. The iPad costs 800€ in Europe, so the price is about the same. When the iPad was first launched in my country it costed more than 1000€.

Status
Not open for further replies.