LG TV won't turn on. Red light flashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poke-Artist

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
Hello

My LG TV won't turn on and the red light is static (as It means the TV Is turned off). But, when I press the on button on the TV remote, the red light repeatedly dims then goes back to full red until I press the on switch on the TV remote again to turn It off.

This happened out of nowhere. I was simply playing on my PS3 and the TV just went off. I actually thought It was the console at first and turned that off from the console, but when I noticed It was the TV, I tried turning It back on and had no luck.

I searched online for solutions but can't say I found much.

I have tried the following.

- Unplugging the power plug from the tower socket I have and then giving it some time before plugging it back in.

- Unplugging the power plug from the actual TV and giving it some time before plugging it back in.

- The first thing I actually did was take the power plug out of the socket and left it over night and throughout the day and then tried turning it back on after plugging it back in.

- I tried a method I found online which people said actually had results from this. Unplugging the power and then holding the on/off switch on the TV for 30 seconds. This method did nothing either. I also tried this method while the plug was still in the tower too.

My only other option is to purchase a new TV, which I am fine with doing but I would rather try and fix my current TV before resorting to that.

Thanks

Matt

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
The capacitors on the main power board of the TV are likely old and have become damaged. You will need to open up the TV and inspect all of the capacitors.

Where you see a capacitor that is domed on the top of it other than flat, you will need to replace the capacitors in question with the same voltage and farad rating.

Once you have done this, the TV will work again Matt. Just make sure when you remove the old capacitors to take note of what side the stripe on each capacitor is pointing to that pin.

And make sure the new capacitor goes in the same way or orientation as the old one in relation to where the stripe is.

It should cost you no more then a few £ or $ to replace the capacitors. You can get them from Tandy, Radio Shack or...

Shaun o

Distinguished
The capacitors on the main power board of the TV are likely old and have become damaged. You will need to open up the TV and inspect all of the capacitors.

Where you see a capacitor that is domed on the top of it other than flat, you will need to replace the capacitors in question with the same voltage and farad rating.

Once you have done this, the TV will work again Matt. Just make sure when you remove the old capacitors to take note of what side the stripe on each capacitor is pointing to that pin.

And make sure the new capacitor goes in the same way or orientation as the old one in relation to where the stripe is.

It should cost you no more then a few £ or $ to replace the capacitors. You can get them from Tandy, Radio Shack or RS Electronics, or through eBay - as long as you have the correct farad and volt ratings for each capacitor you need to replace, Matt.

I have fixed a lot of large LCD TVs this way and it's always down to bad or failed capacitors, as they get damaged due to the amount of heat produced from the LCD screen, particularly if the LCD TV is a few years old.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution

charbel20

Commendable
Sep 19, 2016

i have a problem in my LG 50LA6210 ,no picture and the power light blinkin red and i have no picture.

1- i i have test the power output of the power supply board (9 pins) located in picture powersupply.jpg . i dont know if the voltage is good ,here are the result :

pin1 3v
pin2 3v
pin3 3v
pin4 0v
pin5 24v
pin6 0v
pin7 11v
pin8 11v
pin9 0v

2- i cant see backlight coz the back is sealed with kind of solid carton

3- when i insert a usb in the port i cant here any sound emmiting from speaker as new device conected

4- when power on , the power led flashes 3 times before went blakc

Melanie1972

Commendable
Dec 28, 2016
Our tv is doing the same. The capacitors are all flat. So what could be the next thing to look for?

Poke-Artist

Estimable
Nov 10, 2014
I completely forgot about this until I got a notification about the about the best solution. In the end myself and my dad took the back off the TV case off but we couldn't work out what to do even after all the solution I received In the end I bought a new TV.

Thank you everyone for all your help.

Matt

Ruff N

Commendable
Jan 26, 2017
Hi, I have the same problem with my 42lg50. Was playing on my PS4 when all of a sudden it turned off and will not turn back on. When I press the button the red light goes from dim static to flashing three or four times then goes out completely. I tried changing the three capacitors but it still does the same thing . Any suggestions on what I should try now? Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.