LG V30 Hands-on: Dual-Camera Phablet Takes on Note 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

mooksmom.hj

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
LG & AT&T both have such BAD customer service, I would NOT own one even if they were giving them away! I didn't see the PRICE anywhere. NOT paying $950 for a Samsung of any kind. Apple...I still won't own one and Steve Job's been dead for years.
Guess I will keep my Galaxy Note 4 a few more years...and it still works just fine!

stlscott18

Prominent
Sep 1, 2017
Android is wiping Apples behind with its phones / specs, but unfortunately, I still can't live without my blue imessage bubble. IOS is smooth and its end-to-end encryption for iMessage is what I want. I loved my S8+ while I had it, but I couldn't find a perfect messaging app (if the received doesn't use the same Snowden messaging app, then it's useless), people didn't understand why they couldn't facetime with me, and every time I got a video from somebody from an Iphone, the quality was terrible! However, the phone itself...wow. What a beauty. Samsung throws everything at you.

carlocaterer

Honorable
Sep 1, 2017
LG V30 Cameras shine in two key areas: larger field of view and more detailed backgrounds, but the foreground- the key area- belongs to other cameras by far.

Switching gears- flagship designation(especially any model with +, Plus, XL, Max, Pro), TODAY, requires the following minimums: 6¼" display, QHD, 6gb Ram, 128gb storage, Quick Charge 4, NFC, SD slot.
WORLDWIDE that is, not just only Asia or a particular carrier.
That was the bare minimum, then brands that wish to stand out will increase and add other stuff as necessary.
And let me add that LG should NOT do away with removable batteries IF it wishes to keep standing out from the pack.

And now thru the end of 2017 will see more phone releases and announcements of such specs.

Otherwise tech news has acquired some of the same bad symptoms of news in general today:

we're all reading urgent news flashes of the latest brilliant phone to top all other competitors, with "large" 5.2-5.5" display, "generous" 3gb/32gb expandable to xx with SD, the battery is not removable but now has an extra 10 mhz capacity, etc. ..plus extra absurdities like "the camera has 1 more MP than so and so's, and the manufacturer firmware lets you access your apps from the lock screen, tag your pictures with inane gifs, the phones come in choice of hot fuchsia, neon aquamarine, etc.
Products best suited for preteens and Lilliputians, rather than adult entrepeneur types.

kimersonp

Prominent
Sep 3, 2017
As for the V30 picture of the two dogs showing the Samsung being a better photo than the V30, try taking the EXACT SAME PHOTO for BOTH. You have a close-up image of the Samsung dog and a much farther distant photo of the V30 dog. Of course the Samsung is going to show individual hairs. Come on, Tom's Guide, you folks are much better than that to result to subterfuge. It is beneath you.

jtfrazier

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
You indicated that the sound difference was really subtle. Did you use the FIIL IICON as wireless only? If so, they didn't go through the quad dac. (They did go through aptX Bluetooth which does help.) These are noise cancellation headphones, did you go for something a little nicer? I doubt even good noise cancelling headphones are going to match a decent studio headphone. Good test for a consumer who tends to use bluetooth noise cancelling, improvements there would be subtle, but not a true test for a solid improvement in the sound based on the Quad DAC.

jtfrazier

Prominent
Sep 11, 2017
On the photos side of things, it appears that you compared LG's wide angle lens against Samsung's main shooter. A better comparison would have been between both main shooters.

Status
Not open for further replies.