lg viper with 10 watt?

emerypcnoob

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
hello i would like to ask if it would damage the batter if you plug a 10 watt charger into an lg viper? thank you in advance

Solution
After further research:

Watts is merely a value derived by multiplying volts x amps, and 10 watts means that the other two values are about right for charging a mobile phone (5v/2a). There is no output wattage specified on any of the chargers in my house since there's no need of it, you get it simply by multiplying the other two.

It's the output voltage that's critical.
So as long as a third-party phone charger has the same output voltage as the original charger you will be okay.

The output amperage isn't critical, it just determines how long it will take for the battery to charge up.

emerypcnoob

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
hmm well that doesn't quite answer the specific question of wattage tho. all i could really find via google was iphone forum boards saying that if you use a 10 watt on the iphone it will scale it down to proper so i thought i would ask if the same is true for android devices. i know using something of higher voltage will cause damage and i know that using something of higher amps may do the same but again is the same true for wattage?

After further research:

Watts is merely a value derived by multiplying volts x amps, and 10 watts means that the other two values are about right for charging a mobile phone (5v/2a). There is no output wattage specified on any of the chargers in my house since there's no need of it, you get it simply by multiplying the other two.

It's the output voltage that's critical.
So as long as a third-party phone charger has the same output voltage as the original charger you will be okay.

The output amperage isn't critical, it just determines how long it will take for the battery to charge up.

Solution