Lightweight laptop riddle: what's my make/model to tell Santa??

walkerwear

Estimable
Nov 16, 2014
The laptop I want is lightweight like the MacBook Air, but runs Windows. It has a slot that can handle my camera's xd card. It's screen resolution is nominally HD for my tired, old eyes. It has a numeric keypad because I use it so often at my kitchen table for Excel. It's so lightweight I don't mind taking it with me on my frequent trips, but of course it's bigger than my iPad. It doesn't balk at Adobe Photoshop's simple tasks, but it doesn't mind passing the buck to its Big Brother, a hefty ASUS laptop that lives in my house, for the tough stuff. It likes to pretend it can be a tablet and folds in many interesting ways.

It will be on my Christmas list, but only if I can point Santa toward it. Santa would probably spend about $1000 (more or less). Do you know the make and model??

I should admit I'm 99% convinced my ideal doesn't exist, but if I gave up the numeric keypad - how close could I get?

Thanks,
Monica in NoVA

Solution
What you want does not exist.

Laptops with a numeric pad exists only for 15.6" laptops and larger. There are none that weighs in at 3.5lbs which is the weight of a 13.3" Macbook Air. The lightest 15.6" laptop that I am aware of is the Toshiba Tecra Z50-ASMBN22 which weighs in at 4.1lbs (according to the specs) and has a starting price of $800.

http://www.toshiba.com/us/laptop-finder?family=Tecra&model=Z50&bopt=bto#resultsMatrix

It only has a Core i3-4030u CPU and a 1366x768 resolution screen, but it can be customized. If you want a 1920x1080 resolution screen you will also have to upgrade to a i5-4210u simply because that is a restriction that Toshiba decided to impose. Each upgrade costs $100 which brings the total cost to $1,000...
What you want does not exist.

Laptops with a numeric pad exists only for 15.6" laptops and larger. There are none that weighs in at 3.5lbs which is the weight of a 13.3" Macbook Air. The lightest 15.6" laptop that I am aware of is the Toshiba Tecra Z50-ASMBN22 which weighs in at 4.1lbs (according to the specs) and has a starting price of $800.

http://www.toshiba.com/us/laptop-finder?family=Tecra&model=Z50&bopt=bto#resultsMatrix

It only has a Core i3-4030u CPU and a 1366x768 resolution screen, but it can be customized. If you want a 1920x1080 resolution screen you will also have to upgrade to a i5-4210u simply because that is a restriction that Toshiba decided to impose. Each upgrade costs $100 which brings the total cost to $1,000.

There is a free upgrade to 8GB of RAM from the standard 4GB. Considering this is the holiday season I would wait for Black Friday to see if the offer any discount or perhaps search sites like Amazon.com to see if there are any better deal for the configuration you want that is better than what Toshiba currently offers.

Solution