Like to run a second monitor

rtuschl

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Hello. I have a hp laptop that does not always brings up my screen. It's either wavy lines and then goes blank or just comes up blank when I boot it up. I'm using Vista. I tried to run a vga cord from my HP to my Toshiba windows 8 laptop but my Toshiba's screen turned blank also. What do I need to do or can the bad screen get fixed? Thanks.

markwp

Honorable
Jan 22, 2013
Do you have a stand alone monitor?

You cannot run a vga from laptop to laptop. The vga ports are output only. If you have a fairly recent flat screen tv, it may have a vga input and you can try that.

The symptoms you describe could be either the video card on the laptop or the lcd screen itself. If the video works fine on the tv, then your laptop lcd screen is dying. If you get the same symptoms on the tv, your on board video is probably dying. If the laptop is out of warranty, the cost to replace either would not be worth it.

Mark

Asus_USA

Honorable
May 1, 2013
Go find yourself another LCD monitor to hook it up to. A older CRT would work also; you might be able to find someone giving those away for free if you check online. Once hooked up, switch primary displays and you can use the external one exclusively. You cannot physically hook a laptop to a laptop like that as the VGA ports are outputs only. You can do it virtually, though, but it's easier to just go get a monitor.

rtuschl

Honorable
Dec 16, 2012
Thanks for your responses. I forgot to say that I am trying to get my files off the old computer with the bad screen. Is there a way to do that? I would like to transfer the files to my new computer.

USAFRet

Illustrious

Either a crossover cable, or a switch if you have one available.