Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]toastninja17[/nom]NONONONONONONOOOOOOOOO!!!!![/citation]
[citation][nom]toastninja17[/nom]NONONONONONONOOOOOOOOO!!!!![/citation]
i read that in cleavelands voice

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]People who do this deserve a special place in heaven. I'm tired of the undying greed this world has come to. So seriously, for all the people who do this...keep it up. F the RIAA/MPAA.[/citation]
Agreed!! these stupid organizations and companies have enough freakin money. They're still billionaires even if they don't sue a single person. They're half the reason America is considered the land of "Sue whoever you'd like" and the reason that a lot of americans are in debt.

Awww I can't afford the SUPER jumbo jet airliner, so let me go sue a pityful middle classmen for millions, and avoid having to stick with the regular jumbo jet airliner..

theshonen8899

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2009
I love how Tom's is publishing these articles. It's almost like, "Hey guys, this is 'news', not information to support the pirating community, just 'news'."

G

Laws involving DRM need serious looking into. Some courts are handing out some outstandingly unjust justice.

chess

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
haha at you RIAA,

you spent millions and millions of dollars to take down limewire for a few weeks and in return, a faster, free, lighter, and ad-less limewire pirate edition comes out. Good luck stopping this one because its free and circulating all over the internet. Use your billions and billions of dollars for the better of mankind you ass

gto127

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2008
Please be careful using this. It may be a trick by the RIAA to catch & sue more downloaders. Back in the day people were buying hacked Direct TV setups from Canada & Direct TV quietly got control of the hardware vendors then started suing everyone who ordered equipment.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]People who do this deserve a special place in heaven. I'm tired of the undying greed this world has come to. So seriously, for all the people who do this...keep it up. F the RIAA/MPAA.[/citation]

Agreed. People championing our rights to share over the internet should be commended. However, people abusing this right and downloading copyrighted works with no contribution going to the original artist are NOT to be commended.

If you want to get rid of the RIAA downloading music isn't the way to do it. Ignoring music is the way to do it. When you download music two things happens:

1. You show the RIAA that the music is still in high demand
2. You show the RIAA that the problem with their business model is THIEVES

Now, if you really wanted to STOP the RIAA and CHANGE the music industry you would ignore the music industry. You would stop buying concert tickets, stop downloading albums illegally, and stop purchasing albums. The only message the RIAA could POSSIBLY gather from this is...

1. Our business model is dying and we must change.

I'll champion those that are working to solve this problem but I will not clap for the fools who are making the problem worse by downloading and moaning about the RIAA. You are the problem, not the solution. Please stop making the problem worse.

zerapio

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2002
[citation][nom]tayb[/nom]Agreed. People championing our rights to share over the internet should be commended. However, people abusing this right and downloading copyrighted works with no contribution going to the original artist are NOT to be commended....[/citation]
Awesome post! +100

smithereen

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Oh, the irony.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]No...you don't get it. The RIAA is protecting musical artist and their music. Contrary to popular belief not all musicians are rich. If said band/musician does not produce record sales due to P2P networks sharing their music for free then their contract will not be renewed. New artist normally DO NOT make any $$ for the first couple albums and are in debt to the record company until their third release as long as they are having some success....if they are not having success then they will be at your local bar playing.Record companies provide the funding for artist and are in charge of promoting and distributing their music so they are a very vital part of an artist success and yes these companies do make money from the sales generated. Who exacty do you think the RIAA is fighting for? This is a copy/paste stating what their missions is from their site...."In support of this mission, the RIAA works to protect the intellectual property and First Amendment rights of artists and music labels; conduct consumer, industry and technical research; and monitor and review state and federal laws, regulations and policies."A recording artist used to get about $1.25 per album sold for a established mildy successful artist so that rate starts lower for a new band with a first release and more popular artist pull more. This figure is from a few years back so I do not know the current rates but this should give some perspective as to what the artist makes and what they lose out when people "steal" their music.I personally hope the RIAA gets more aggressive so people will think twice before downloading music they did not pay for.[/citation]
Man, you need to do research. RIAA and the like have been riding the same business practice since the beginning of the entertainment industry began. They need to catch up to the techno of today. Like many businesses in this world, you don't keep up...you LOSE! So stop defending them plz...you are wasting bits of info on tomshardware with nonsense...

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]zerapio[/nom]Awesome post! +100[/citation]
The artists don't make zilch off of records sold...but concerts. Many WELL KNOWN AND POPULAR ARTISTS have come forth and said this and that they condone piracy because it is cheaper and better advertisement for them (go look up Disturbed for example) and they make their money from concerts. I personally hope that individuals becomes smarter...but I guess in the US...that is asking for too much...

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]edilee[/nom]No...you don't get it. The RIAA is protecting musical artist and their music. Contrary to popular belief not all musicians are rich. If said band/musician does not produce record sales due to P2P networks sharing their music for free then their contract will not be renewed. New artist normally DO NOT make any $$ for the first couple albums and are in debt to the record company until their third release as long as they are having some success....if they are not having success then they will be at your local bar playing.Record companies provide the funding for artist and are in charge of promoting and distributing their music so they are a very vital part of an artist success and yes these companies do make money from the sales generated. Who exacty do you think the RIAA is fighting for? This is a copy/paste stating what their missions is from their site...."In support of this mission, the RIAA works to protect the intellectual property and First Amendment rights of artists and music labels; conduct consumer, industry and technical research; and monitor and review state and federal laws, regulations and policies."A recording artist used to get about $1.25 per album sold for a established mildy successful artist so that rate starts lower for a new band with a first release and more popular artist pull more. This figure is from a few years back so I do not know the current rates but this should give some perspective as to what the artist makes and what they lose out when people "steal" their music.I personally hope the RIAA gets more aggressive so people will think twice before downloading music they did not pay for.[/citation]

Holey moley, how much does the RIAA pay you to shill for them? Major record companies make their money by scamming artists, and the RIAA is in place to make sure these companies continue to make a hugely disproportionate percentage of cash off of musicians. It's all about greed, and if you think otherwise you haven't been paying attention to the music business for the last thirty years or so.

If you feel the need to support your favorite artists, go to their shows and buy their merch. If you feel the need to support the RIAA, go buy an album from Walmart or Target.

G

The word on the street for the past decade has been that Limewire was a cop front, only the gullible and/or technologically inept used Limewire or Kazaa, those in the know started out with Napster, moved on to Soulseek, then to DC++, bittorrent, and now to good old fashioned News Groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.