Linus Torvalds Hates Phones; Loves Nexus One

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]WheelsOfConfusion[/nom]He is the Father of Linux. I think you mean he's not the father of GNU/Linux. You could definitely assign him partial custody there, though, but now this metaphor is all strained and soupy.[/citation]the fact that you believe GNU/Linux and Linux are separate entities shows how misinformed most people are. Linux = GNU/Linux. All Linus did was create the kernel, which is a very difficult task. I'm no fan of Richard Stallman's politics, but he deserves the credit.

necronic

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Seems to me like he has never really looked into what phones can do, and has only tried a couple. Which means his opinion is completely worthless.

Honestly for a guy like Torvald I would think something like the N900 would be more to his liking, as its the best (opinion)commercial techie phone and arguably the best and most open ended (opinion) implementation of Linux on a phone.

killblade

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Craig_1000[/nom]Killblades never seen a Palm touch screen device(Old school device prob made before you were born)...not multiple touch btw but how much of a step is that and how can any one say they invented the whole thing when all they really have is good patent lawyer...Try and use the 'iPod or apple' name watch apple sue away then ask Fujitsu about their 'iPad' device (years old) and who owned the 'iPhone' name before apple just used it... Apple Sued the 'Beatles' over their use of the 'Apple on their record label'. The list just goes on and on and on. But please dont research just 'live the dream'.[/citation]

OK so Palm had a touch devise - but then Pinch and zoom was a Apple innovation - an innovation that was stolen - - Apple may have been inspired by Xerox in the beginning - but the two systems look different and the Apple OS has consistently been best to this day. Sorry I don’t want to rain on Nexuses parade but that’s just the way it is - It’s an Iphone copy. No use patting them self’s on the back for steeling.

killblade

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
If Apple "Copy" something at least they copy it to make it better. Microsoft- Lynx - Android - nexus are always trying to catch up like 4 overweight joggers who smoke - holding there chests because there just about to have a heart attacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.