Question Listening to music stored on a laptop

Feb 28, 2019
After 35+ years of homebrew PCs, I made the leap to a laptop workstation (Lenovo P71). What is a reasonable – moneywise, solution to be able to listen to music (flac files) (stored on an external hard drive) in good quality surround sound?

Music would not be surround sound, or are you actually listening to 5.1 audio instead of stereo? So you are looking for speakers? Edifier R1700BT are good for the money, any studio monitor lower end speaker would be good, I also like the M-Audio speakers, AV42. For 2.1 setups there are a bunch also, Klipsh ProMedia, Logitech Z623

Without knowing what is reasonable to you it's hard to say.
If you wanted 5.1 an AVR and speakers would be the best solution since HDMI would be the best output you could use.
For stereo music an amp/USB DAC/passive speakers would offer the best sound quality.
In either case you have lots of options at every price level.

Feb 28, 2019
Without knowing what is reasonable to you it's hard to say.
If you wanted 5.1 an AVR and speakers would be the best solution since HDMI would be the best output you could use.
For stereo music an amp/USB DAC/passive speakers would offer the best sound quality.
In either case you have lots of options at every price level.

Thanks. I will do my research on AVRs.

Appreciate the reply

Feb 28, 2019
Music would not be surround sound, or are you actually listening to 5.1 audio instead of stereo? So you are looking for speakers? Edifier R1700BT are good for the money, any studio monitor lower end speaker would be good, I also like the M-Audio speakers, AV42. For 2.1 setups there are a bunch also, Klipsh ProMedia, Logitech Z623

I am not a super audiophile, but I do like my music (Prog Rock) clean. I work many hours, into the wee hours of the morning, in my downstairs office and would like to have a GOOD sound come out of my laptop workstation. Don’t care much for headphones. My (extensive) music collection is in AIFF, ALAC, WAV, FLAC or DSD formats. In my car I use DVD-As, so I would like to replicate the experience in my office, if I can. I do want to keep my home theater and music listening separate. 5.1 is OK.

I am not a super audiophile, but I do like my music (Prog Rock) clean. I work many hours, into the wee hours of the morning, in my downstairs office and would like to have a GOOD sound come out of my laptop workstation. Don’t care much for headphones. My (extensive) music collection is in AIFF, ALAC, WAV, FLAC or DSD formats. In my car I use DVD-As, so I would like to replicate the experience in my office, if I can. I do want to keep my home theater and music listening separate. 5.1 is OK.

So for rock music to get some punch you may want to get one of the 2.1 sets, for mid range stuff this is good https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-Book...SF9AQH44KM0&psc=1&refRID=RMEBE4PA1SF9AQH44KM0 and the 2.1 sets fro Klipsh and Logitech are good also.

This is nice if you also want a nice design, it is not as punchy for rock as the others but good balanced sound https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002TG3B7...d_r=23768bef-3f61-11e9-99fe-937f2c1eb4e1&th=1

Or you can go with a receiver/amp and something like this https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00RNZ6CO...e9-801d-6d96d61a9c83&smid=A2K7RN1DSQCI9O&th=1

For computers I like the powered speakers though unless you want to duplicate a higher end home audio setup just in a different location.

Feb 28, 2019
So for rock music to get some punch you may want to get one of the 2.1 sets, for mid range stuff this is good https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-Book...SF9AQH44KM0&psc=1&refRID=RMEBE4PA1SF9AQH44KM0 and the 2.1 sets fro Klipsh and Logitech are good also.

[...]
For computers I like the powered speakers though unless you want to duplicate a higher end home audio setup just in a different location.

I already decided on the Edifier S350DB. I didn't know if I need an amp/DAC between the laptop and the speakers.Every amp I see is for headphones.

Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.