live video stream solved

tech-wreck

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
i'd like to do a continuous (video only) interwebs broadcast, what's the easiest way to go about doing this?
i was planning to use a webcam connected to a laptop, but it may not be up to it:
dell latitude D630
C2D T7500 2.2GHz
4GB RAM
50GB HDD free space
wireless G network adaptor

internet is 100*Mb down, 6Mb up.
* allegedly. upload speed is consistent.

no audio because feedback loop. video size 640x480 would be groovy.
your thoughts on this would be appreciated :)

tech-wreck

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
had a look at ustream but i can't find the 'free' option... (not wanting to pay (but if i do have to pay, i won't be throwing $300 that way) it's only going to be for 2-3 months, for personal, non-profit use)

and the webcam is okay, been doing some test recordings today to check lighting and stuff...
i think it is the laptop that may be the weak link, or maybe it was the software, but it's recording at 9 fps.
i have a better webcam upstairs, might give that a try along with different recording software...
if all else fails i have a spare desktop i could use (needs a wifi card) if you think it'll do any better than the laptop, i'm not sure as it's just as old with a 2.5 or 3 GHz dual core CPU and the same amount/speed of RAM (4GB 800MHz).

what is the minimum spec needed to record and stream 640x480 at 30fps?

tech-wreck

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
i accidentally found broadcam, which is free to use for private use, for one stream. just what i needed, and works great over the local network, but can't tell if it's working beyond that as i'm seeing this on my phone:
Sorry, your browser does not support HTTP Live Streaming.

and also this:
Warning: Because your computer is on a private network you must set up your router and enter the known host details for the links to work properly from a public IP.

but i think it's working, as it says total viewers 4 ... me (phone) and three others? nope. checked the log, all four were local.
anyway i don't understand networks much... known host? not by me...
man, it stinks in here...