captaincatfish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
Hello,
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to locate a stolen laptop by using the Wireless Lan Mac Address & the Lan Mac Address ? Or if there is another way to locate it. The computer is a Toshiba with Windows 7. The computer was purchased only 2 days ago !!! Thanks for your help. !!

Hello captaincatfish;

Sorry, the Mac Address isn't visible over the internet. If you think the thief might be on the same local network you are - there is a chance that the Network Admin can see the attached Mac Addresses on his network.

Without an tracking app like Prey or LoJack for Laptops installed there is no way to trace it's location over the internet.

File a police report and notify Toshiba it's been stolen.

Unfortunately, the answer is no. About the only thing you can do is report it stolen. Check with your credit card issuer to find out if they have a policy regarding stolen purchases; they will likely want a copy of the police report.

In future if you are concerned about having your laptop stolen again, then you may want to consider installing tracking software on your laptop; like LoJack for example.

http://www.lojack.com/pages/laptop.aspx

It won't guarantee you will be able to find a stolen laptop, but it should significantly improve your chances.

captaincatfish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for the info. I had already filed a police report & contacted Toshiba. I was hoping there was a way to locate it. Thanks again.

captaincatfish

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

Thanks for your help. ! I had not had the chance to install the Lojack product. Shame on me !!!