Locked out of laptop, arrow frozen

Apr 22, 2018
Hello everyone. Thanks in advance for your help. :)

My laptop suddenly froze while I was using it. Arrow stopped moving. I shut computer down, rebooted and now it's frozen on the page it stopped working at and is in lock mode.

I have no idea how this happened and have no idea how to unlock it. I've tried to sign back in under my password, successful with that but when doing this, I keep getting the same frozen screen as before.

Please keep in mind, I'm unable to scroll on certain pages because the arrow up and down is not an option in some circumstances and per my question, am unable to use arrow as its frozen
Trying to fix for 2 hours, to no avail.
Please help.

Thank you very much

Solution
If it isn't a standard log in screen, it may well be malware, virus, etc. Can't know until you can get the device restarted though. So first it needs to fully power down. You can either unplug it and wait for the battery to run out of power, or unplug it and pull the battery. That is if you feel comfortable doing so (some of them are complicated to get to) AND it isn't under warranty. If under warranty I would contact the manufacturer.

If it isn't under warranty, then once you have it fully powered down. Let it sit that way for a good 5-10 minutes and then plug it back in (or put the battery back and then plug it in) to let it have power. Do Not turn it on yet, as you shouldn't turn it on the normal way. I would suggest starting up in...
Apr 22, 2018

Apr 22, 2018
By shutting down, Im aware that it's not powering off completely. I push the power button off, that's the only way I can. I cant use touch pad because I can't maneuver arrow because its frozen.

How else can I power it off completely, unplug and let battery run out and power up again? I'll still be locked out tho when I reboot, wont I?

Any idea how this happened? I didn't lock it manually, it locked on its own.
Thanks for answering my question. I appreciate it.
:)

If it isn't a standard log in screen, it may well be malware, virus, etc. Can't know until you can get the device restarted though. So first it needs to fully power down. You can either unplug it and wait for the battery to run out of power, or unplug it and pull the battery. That is if you feel comfortable doing so (some of them are complicated to get to) AND it isn't under warranty. If under warranty I would contact the manufacturer.

If it isn't under warranty, then once you have it fully powered down. Let it sit that way for a good 5-10 minutes and then plug it back in (or put the battery back and then plug it in) to let it have power. Do Not turn it on yet, as you shouldn't turn it on the normal way. I would suggest starting up in "Safe Mode" just to be sure it isn't a virus, malware, etc. So the instructions below are how to start it up that way.

You will still need your personal log in information to access the computer when it powers on.

How to enter "Safe Mode" when booting the computer.

In Windows 8 and 10...

As your computer restarts, press F8 (possibly a few times) to enter "Safe Mode"

a. Press the "F4" key to Enable "Safe Mode".
(The computer will then start in "Safe Mode" with a minimal set of drivers and services.)

b. Press the "F5" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Networking.
( Once "Safe Mode" with Networking starts, Windows is in Safe Mode, with additional network and services for accessing the Internet and other computers on your network.)

c. Press the "F6" key to Enable "Safe Mode" with Command Prompt.
(In "Safe Mode" with "Command Prompt" starts Windows in Safe Mode, with a Command Prompt window instead of the Windows interface. This option is mostly only used by IT professionals.)

Now sign in to the computer with your account name and password. (If you have one set.) When you are finished troubleshooting, you can exit "Safe Mode" restarting your computer.

In Windows 7/Vista/XP...

1. Immediately after turning on the computer, or restarting it (usually after you hear your computer beep), tap the F8 key, repeatedly, in 1 second intervals.

2. The computer will then display hardware information and run a memory test.

3. Next the "Advanced Boot Options" menu will appear.

4. In the "Advanced Boot Options" menu use the arrow keys to select "Safe Mode" or "Safe Mode with Networking" and press ENTER.

Solution