Logitech Cutting 450 Jobs in The Name of Restructuring

Status
Not open for further replies.

zankuto

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
To see a great and wonderful company succumb to this... be it for profit or tragedy it just saddens me to see this.

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]pursue its growth opportunities....i call it greed[/citation]

I think you need to take an economics 101 class. If you're paying out more than you're taking in you need to cut things you don't need. To continue to spend more than you take in would only lead to this company going under, or in your personal life always being broke every pay day. So they're cutting 450 jobs, at least they're cutting in the right place and not starting at the bottom (according to this article) like most other businesses are and have done.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
Just like any company that wants to survive and thrive, Logitech needs to move with the times. This means a radical restructuring within the company. All the peripherals that they have made for PCs are unnecessary on Laptops or tablets, both of whom have continued to increase their market share. Hopefully it's not too late.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
company leadership, massive stock options, fire people to make the company look more profitable, stock edges up, personal profits for leadership group skyrockets

this has become common practice in corporations... this is a "feature" of corporations today... and just one of many reasons never to work for one... unless you are willing to make personal sacrifices to help funnel money into the pockets of the leadership

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]company leadership, massive stock options, fire people to make the company look more profitable, stock edges up, personal profits for leadership group skyrocketsthis has become common practice in corporations... this is a "feature" of corporations today... and just one of many reasons never to work for one... unless you are willing to make personal sacrifices to help funnel money into the pockets of the leadership[/citation]

Yep and then the CEO who got the bonuses quits right before the company collapses because it failed to invest in enough R&D to remain competitive in a TECH industry.

Max Collodi

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2010
[citation][nom]oj88[/nom]How did this financial news even sneak into here? I thought Tom's is all about hardware news.[/citation]
This is financial news about a company that makes hardware so it seems appropriate. Also this is Tom's guide not Tom's Hardware. Both sites are linked together because they are both owned by the French company "Best of Media"

G

Logitech needs better quality products... their flagship Performance MX mouse has pitiful battery life and horrible durability.

Basically they don't make products like they used to!

atminside

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2011
HP did the same thing. They said there work force was not skilled enough so they laid them off....Thanks Meg. So it's either not being "skilled" enough or "restructuring" that many companies are claiming to justify their massive lay offs. But in reality they just want to cut overhead and make huger profit margins to impress and keep their short term mentality investors. It is really insulting to tell some one who went to MIT who has a PHD in computer engineering with years of proven quality experience and achievements by saying he/she is not skilled enough and then lay him/her off just to give the job to some one in Asia who will work for pennies on the dollar....(HP). It seems every American electronics company is doing this. I mean, can we even call them American companies anymore if they have this global mentality approach?

G

It's no wonder. You can't make 67 types of notebook mice, and ZERO full size mice. You completely eliminated PS2 mice and keyboards, well geniuses, who buys a keyboard/mouse at retail? People replacing ones that failed, and what fails? The older ps/2 ones!!

Then you realized your mistake and brought one cheap junky ps2 model back, with a cable thinner than a human hair, that you flex the cable twice and it's defective.

Everything made my logitech pretty much is junk now. It's sad. A once great company gone to crap.

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
[citation][nom]coolspot416[/nom]Logitech needs better quality products... their flagship Performance MX mouse has pitiful battery life and horrible durability. Basically they don't make products like they used to![/citation]
Not only the durability deteriorates, the designs of the mice is worse.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Its a shame. Logitech is the only brand I use for my mice. Their Anywhere MX is excellent size and shape for both laptop and desktop use. Heck, I game on it too.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
[citation][nom]coolspot416[/nom]Logitech needs better quality products... their flagship Performance MX mouse has pitiful battery life and horrible durability. Basically they don't make products like they used to![/citation]
Exactly. If you look at customer reviews, even on Logitech's site, the quality of their products seems like it has dropped significantly with recent product releases. With that kind of a reputation, it will be difficult to sell product, and, therefore, make a profit.

IMHO, Logitech needs to bring the quality of their products back up to where it used to be. As I see it, that will provide some help to their current financial situation. If they do not bring their quality back up, no amount of layoffs will keep them from falling further.

Status
Not open for further replies.