Logitech Z-640 Computer Speakers - Excess Bass Issue

alwaysk84hockey

Estimable
Jun 10, 2014
I have the 5.1 Logitech Z-640 computer speakers which I have had for years and love. 2-3 days ago we had a lightning storm come through the area and the power in my house browned out for a split second turning off my tv's and computer monitors, but most electronics stayed on including my computer desktop, game console, etc. Shortly after, I heard a rumbling sound coming from my computer speakers that sounded almost like thunder or a clothes dryer running.

I now have an issue where all audio that comes through my speakers is very bass heavy, even on the lowest bass settings, to the point where everything sounds muffled. I have replicated the issue on my desktop computer, laptop, and by playing music through my cell phone. Does anyone have any idea what the issue is? Is it related to the power browning out for a split second? Is it something that can be resolved?

P.S. as a side note, the end of the audio cable where you connect it into the audio jack on the device you're using has been giving me problems for the past 3+ years and I have to constantly wiggle and tweak it to get a good sounding connection.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

SchizTech

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
it sounds like you've done all the essential troubleshooting already. Have you double checked with another device, even headphones to check that the PC audio is normal? That all the devices have the same audio issue at once is less likely than the speakers going kaput though. Is it unreasonable to suggest searching for a replacement set of speakers?