kingkodap

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
Hi, I have the logitech z506 5.1 system. I've been using them for quite some time now and they worked fine. Now when I play music or any sound it only play 2.1 instead of 5.1. Out of no where did this happen. I use a Diamond external hard drive to use all wires (green, orange, black). I have downloaded and redownloaded everything. Went through everything (at least i thought). I went to the sound on the control panel and did the 5.1 test and it works fine but nothing outside of that. I do not even care if i can have 5.1 surround i just want all of my speakers working instead of 2.
Thank you!

psoohoo

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
If all the speakers work inside of control panel then Windows(?) is correctly identifying the sound setup. Whatever application and or media file will also need to support playing to a multi-track output. You should check to see if the sound driver control panel or applet have an options for virtual surround when its only playing a 2.1 track source. Otherwise if you are playing stereo track it will only play on the two speakers or maybe the fronts only.

kingkodap

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
could you explain that in an easier way? i'm pretty new to this. all i want is it to play through all speakers. i dont care if it actually plays like surround sound.

psoohoo

Estimable
Jul 30, 2014
First and foremost, I dont know what sound card/device (on-board or otherwise) you have or what you are trying to play.
If you are able to have windows (which i am assuming you are using) play correctly thru each channel correctly, that is left-front plays thru left-front, etc the you have correctly connected the speakers and windows is correctly configured.

Now the harder part. If the application and the content support 5.1 sound then is should play correctly. Like a DVD.
When its only playing a stereo only track, how it plays it will depend on the settings of the driver. These setting are in the sound properties. There also may be a more advance control panel/applet that has more functionality than the standard windows one. However each sound card/device has its own set of drivers/software, that i wont be able to tell what the settings are.
To create virtual surround, I think it maybe call "speaker fill", this option will cause Windows to play a stereo track to the fronts and back. Again, this option may be called differently in different device drivers.

kingkodap

Estimable
Dec 6, 2015
i am using a "diamond external usb sound card" if that helps at all. was working fine but now it is not. sometimes sound (youtube) will be playing through my right speaker (power speaker with nob) and sometimes my center speaker and always my subwoofer.