Logitech Z506 Speakers - Possible to make one rear speaker wireless?

veltche8364

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015
Hey all,

Need a little bit of help with my 5.1 speaker system. I recently got the very budget, but decent Z506 speakers from Logitech. My left rear speaker wire is hidden along the skirting of my living room, but the living room is set up such that the door is on the right, and I can't do the same with my right rear speaker wire.

Is there any way to make ONLY my right rear speaker wireless? Speakers are connected to the back of a subwoofer (see image), and the subwoofer is connected to a sound-card in my PC. I'm imagining connecting a bluetooth to phono device to my subwoofer, and another bluetooth transmitter to my speaker... Innovative, but I doubt this is possible :D. I live in the UK and don't want to spend more than £30-50 doing something like this, because at that point, I'd rather just wait a year or two and buy a proper wireless surround sound system for a few hundred pounds.

Thanks in advance for any help; highly appreciated!

image link: http://imgur.com/a/i4gK0

Solution
Viewed the image.

Recommend that you present a simple sketch of the living room, door(s), and 5.1 speakers, PC etc. as that may be more helpful. If not to scale per se at least provide the distances.

There are a variety of audio transmitters/receivers available.

You may be able to put a transmitter on the PC and the receiver in the back with wiring to the respective L & R rear speakers and then use the skirting to run a wire(s) back to the sub-woofer and front speakers.

Not sure what the end costs would be per se.

However, if you can provide a room diagram that may solicit additional suggestions. Especially if my vision of it all is not quite right.
Viewed the image.

Recommend that you present a simple sketch of the living room, door(s), and 5.1 speakers, PC etc. as that may be more helpful. If not to scale per se at least provide the distances.

There are a variety of audio transmitters/receivers available.

You may be able to put a transmitter on the PC and the receiver in the back with wiring to the respective L & R rear speakers and then use the skirting to run a wire(s) back to the sub-woofer and front speakers.

Not sure what the end costs would be per se.

However, if you can provide a room diagram that may solicit additional suggestions. Especially if my vision of it all is not quite right.

Solution

veltche8364

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015

Hey thanks for this. I'll link an imgur post at the end of my message containing a few pics and a really quick (terrible and rough) sketch of the room. Basically the room is about 6m x 6m. Huge window on the left with the skirting hiding my left speaker wire running from my subwoofer (behind the TV), and a big door directly across from the window. My right rear speaker is running along the middle of the room from the subwoofer (as shown in pic and diagram).

Let me know if that helps at all, and sorry for the awful drawing :D

https://imgur.com/a/7vM7J

Drawing is fine.

The right rear speaker wire could just go behind both couches. No reason, per se, that the left rear speaker wire to be "left" and the right rear speaker wire to be "right".

As I see it, just run the wire for the right rear speaker parallel to the wire for the left rear speaker but continue past the left rear speaker, pass behind the second couch, and then connect to right rear speaker.

Just may need a longer wire or perhaps an extension wire with applicable plugs or adapters.

Or am I missing something....?

veltche8364

Estimable
Jul 30, 2015

Haha, my god! I bought extension cables today and didn't even think that they could be long enough for the right speaker to go behind and around the couch, but you're totally right. They still might not be, but will try this tomorrow. At what length of extension does the sound quality begin to falter? In any case, this feels like the moment when you've been looking for your sunglasses for 20 minutes and they end up being on your head; thanks for the suggestion.

Since I've already got this thread open, for future reference for me, and for someone else who might want to do this, could you point me to a good audio receiver/transmitter that I could use to do something like this wirelessly? How would that work? Would I be able to keep my rear speakers as part of the subwoofer 6-channel system?

Thanks for your help :D

I do not believe that the distances you are working with will cause "falter" in the sound per se. Usually the quality/gauge of the wire and the connectors/connections are more important. There are a variety of guides to help match wiring to sound systems.

Many products are advertized "overkill" when a much less expensive product will work just as well. "Fake" benefits for any number of mysterious (usually marketing) reasons.

As for an audio receiver/transmitter I [full disclosure] have only limited experience with such devices. I do have an Actiontec MWTV2KIT01 set that I used for awhile. Presently set-aside pending some living space rearrangements. Actiontec eemed to work okay but my application was just to provide connectivity between a distant coax port and the cable box on the TV.

You can google "audio receiver transmitters 6 channel" (or similar words/phrases) to find more products.

What is really important is that you map out the existing connections and how you wish to connect everything wirelessly thereafter. Including the rear speakers and sub-woofer connections. Must be truly 6 channel versus,e.g. - 6 speakers. Read the product descriptions and specifications carefully. "Compatible" may only mean that the plugs will fit - not that there is truly 6 channel sound.

Then go online and read the User Guides/Manuals for any products being considered. Check the manufacturer's websites, FAQs, and forums. Sometimes the "fine print" can be very revealing. Diagrams in the manuals may be helpful as well.

Once you find a product that seems workable start looking at reviews by verified purchasers or well known professional sites offering such reviews. Should not take too long to work out what product will meet your wireless audio requirements.