Solved! Logitech Z560 - (Amp replacement question, possible?)

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011
Ive been rocking the 4.1 computer audio system from the early 2000s. The sub still hits, the speakers still sound good. The only issue is the amp which crackles. The soldering went bad maybe a decade ago. Its been a pain in the ass the keep the speakers adjusted perfectly to avoid the obnoxious popping.

I'm ready to retire the system, partially. I'd like to see about just replacing the amp first. Technically I could just get an amp for a computer and plug in the system to it just like it is now. Can any of you audio techs point me in the right direction? Is this a good idea? If it is, can you recommend any affordable amps that would work with this setup?

Thanks!

Solution
I actually own Klipsch home speakers and had considered the PC setup, but reviews indicate there are issues with uneven sound and such. I have owned a Yamaha 2.1 system that was pretty decent, but that was long ago. I actually have a Logitech 5.1 system that I purchased as a refurb on the cheap and have been very happy with it. It is by no means audiophile quality, but it's more than suitable for the purpose.

dankcik09

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2011

So the Amp swap out wouldn't do too well? The amp parts seem a little expensive for sure. Are you saying for cost purposes, might as well invest in a new setup?

After owning Logitech, I'd be hesitant to buy a new one, solely based on the fact that the amp was such a huge mess and for so long.

Do you have any recommendations for a brand? Klipsch used to be recommended. Who are the desired brands for computer audios now? I don't think I need anything more than a 2.1, or even bookshelf speakers, but decent quality ones. I could dish out 300. But prefer to keep it lower.

punkncat

Proper
Apr 3, 2018
I actually own Klipsch home speakers and had considered the PC setup, but reviews indicate there are issues with uneven sound and such. I have owned a Yamaha 2.1 system that was pretty decent, but that was long ago. I actually have a Logitech 5.1 system that I purchased as a refurb on the cheap and have been very happy with it. It is by no means audiophile quality, but it's more than suitable for the purpose.

Solution