Solved! Long HDMI Run

Josh Fravle

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013
I need to run an hdmi signal over 40ft. I wanted to know what the most practical and cost effective solution would be. I've read about hdmi over cat and active hdmi cables, but I am not sure what brands to trust and what would deliver the best results. I need to be able to transmit at least 1080p at 60hz, but I would like to be able to use the solution in the future so I am interested in it being capable of transmitting 4K content.

Depends what you're trying to do.
A good quality HDMI cable could do 50Ft, lesser quality cables (or a lower-powered source) may need to be amplified.

Too little information here, we really need to know the specifics of what you're trying to achieve.
What's to be connected? Where's it running? (loose, in-wall, outside?)

Josh Fravle

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013

I'm trying to connect my pc to a tv across the living room in my apartment. There is furniture between the pc and tv stand, so I planned on running the cord loose behind the furniture.

Solution

Josh Fravle

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013

I'll give the cable a try. I see it comes in 35ft, is there any reason not to go with the 50ft since they are similar in price? 35ft would work for me if it has an advantage over the 50ft like picture quality or something.

Yeah, that's why I recommended opting for a cheap solution initially - especially one with an amazing return policy.

No sense in spending the big bucks required for amplified cables etc, if it's not needed. At 50Ft, provided you're not looking for >4K 30Hz*, then a cheapish cable should do.

*Might be 4K 60Hz, depending on the source - but I would suspect that's where you'll start to see a drop off in performance/quality from a cheap cable.

Josh Fravle

Honorable
Jun 9, 2013

Really appreciate the advice!