Looking at Logitech G933 Artemis Spectrum

Chris_72

Estimable
Nov 7, 2015
I currently own the Logitech G430 and generally I am happy. I am a little annoyed with the occasional cackle in the sound. I like the construction and find it pretty comfortable. I am looking for an upgrade however. I want to maintain the 7.1 surround, preferably a real surround and not this garbage where I have to use Logitechs usb dongle otherwise it reverts to a 2.1 headset. Other than the cackles and needing the usb dongle I am more than happy with Logitech and have been for a long time, so i am looking at the Logitech g933 Artemis Spectrum. I need a wireless headset due to my headset cable constantly finding its way under my keyboard and snagged on my chair. my price cap is $200 so it is at the the absolute highest I could go but wanted suggestions and feed back before i ultimately make my decision. I strongly doubt that I will consider a razer product as I have 3 that I use currently and wish i had gotten a different brand for each and everyone.

So to recap, I would like a headset that is/has:
-7.1 surround (and none of that logitech dongle BS)
-Wireless
-Doesn't have the cackling I am experiencing with my logitech g430
-is a sound quality upgrade from my g430
-Cloth earpads, Leather gets to hot
-priced around or below $200

That's more an issue with your "requirements" than the brand. None of the headphones that meet your "requirements" are going to be any good.

If you want high quality and high audio quality, go with a read, wired (or if you spend more than ~250 wireless) headphone from a company like Audio Technica or Sennheiser.

"7.1" sets are marketing BS, you have two ears and only need two independent channels because your two ears can only handle two independent sources. The rest of it is ALWAYS taken care of in software, even for "7.1" headphones (either in a USB soundcard like the G430 or in your soundcard like those that use multiple analog inputs). Headphones are NOT room speakers, don't treat them as such.

Chris_72

Estimable
Nov 7, 2015

A sound quality upgrade from my g430's is all i was asking for. As i said in my requirements. And not wanting to support a brand that you have not received a quality product from in 5 years is not a part of requirements. There are actually quite a few headsets that meet the requirements and I never treated my headset as a speaker system. The usb sound card logitech uses is known to create the cackles, especially when multiple programs are generating noise. A true 7.1 as in one that is not created on a USB sound card, because everyone I've seen that required the use of a USB didn't really have many good things to say about the USB soundcard. A Logitech g35 would even be a sound quality improvement from my current headset which is again, all I asked for. I do not require AudioTechnica or Sennheiser for sound quality as I never asked for such high sound quality.

Just out of curiosity what exactly are you saying the g933 artemis spectrum doesn't meet?

You just did treat the headphones as a speaker system... Again, "7.1" audio uses dependent audio sources to approximate points between those speakers, kind of like how dioramas use layers to approximate a 3D image. With headphones though, you don't need to do that, since headphones are basically like the oculus rift, it uses just two independent 2D images to give you 3D that is a hell of a lot more realistic. Do you really want to use a diorama when you can have a vr headset? ;)

HD558 and ATH-AD500X are cheaper, higher quality, and better sounding (including positional audio), the only thing holding you back is "7.1" headset nonsense and your wireless requirement (which is likely pointless if you actually sit down and ask yourself exactly what it is you need)

Chris_72

Estimable
Nov 7, 2015
Okay, that makes more sense, I apologize I read your first post as if it had a tone of hostility. I would prefer it have a mic built in because I am a gamer and I do not really have any more space around my desk (or above my desk for the floating ones) for a separate microphone, could you recommend once of their gaming headsets? I never actually realized Sennheiser and AudioTechnica got into the gaming headset market.

Also, I do understand what you're saying about not really needing it to be wireless. I tend to move around during a long gaming session and the cord just gets caught everywhere because it moves with my head, if the headset quality is really that much nicer and cheaper for a wired I may just try to remedy the wire problem some other way.

Oh, and lets bump the budget up to $300. Considering I'm not about to throw my current headset at a wall in frustration or anything, it might be smarter for me to wait for my budget to be larger.

And as I have done more research, I am finding some headsets having "vented drivers" that while allowing for more spacious sounding feedback and are preferred by some, I am afraid I don't have the luxury of using headsets with that feature because I am often gaming in the same room as my girlfriend is doing her homework and I am afraid it might be distracting.

Also I have the Asus z170 ar which boasts an onboard sound system of some sort, so would I need/want a soundcard for the sennheiser game one? which is what I think I am looking at now.