looking for a 14-15 inch lightweight good battery laptop for gaming under 1000 dollars

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hoopdidou44

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Hey, I'm looking g for a 14-15 inch laptop at about 1000$ with good battery and that's light, but also can run some games like borderlands 2 and just cause 2 at medium-high settings without getting hot, thanks

Other: I was looking at the lenovo ideapad y510p and another MSI computer at about the same price, but where ever I go, the reviews always say they get really hot, which is something I don't want in my PC

Solution
fan noise on both notebooks is pretty quiet I would say (I have lots of friends with the 17 in ROG laptops). neither laptop throttles back when loaded up either. (on mine i sometimes see the turbo clock switching on and off but it never goes below its rated speed) the GPU however I have NEVER seen it back off (it runs at the GPU boost speed all the time at 718mhz. as I said when mine is loaded up its not very noticeable. the fan moves a ton of air though the only thing i would be worried about is if you are a left hand mouser. (the exhaust is on the left side). if you are right handed then you are all good.

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
Internal components get to around 80 to 85C when loaded with MSI Kombuster and prime 95. And even loaded up its pretty quiet (there is a noticeable "whoosh" sound from the airflow under a gaming load). When used lightly it doesn't get that warm. And I can barely hear it in a library. The only hotspot when gaming is right above the exhaust on the extreme left edge of the keyboard.

hoopdidou44

Honorable
Jan 28, 2014
Thank you very much frank, I have one final question though, how do the fans/ fan noise compare to the g55vw? Because I know its last gen I'm just worried and want my notebook to be the best it can be

frank the tank

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2011
fan noise on both notebooks is pretty quiet I would say (I have lots of friends with the 17 in ROG laptops). neither laptop throttles back when loaded up either. (on mine i sometimes see the turbo clock switching on and off but it never goes below its rated speed) the GPU however I have NEVER seen it back off (it runs at the GPU boost speed all the time at 718mhz. as I said when mine is loaded up its not very noticeable. the fan moves a ton of air though the only thing i would be worried about is if you are a left hand mouser. (the exhaust is on the left side). if you are right handed then you are all good.

Solution