Looking for a College Laptop (bring out the big 13.3" guns)

NelsonGray

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
I'm heading to university in the fall to study engineering and biology, and I need a new laptop. I'd like to get it before the end of the summer, so there's not much of a rush. Here's my list of hard requirements (I won't bother with anything that doesn't meet these specs):

• - Must have 1080p or higher resolution
    - Must be 13.3” class or smaller
    - Must have a solid state drive
    - Must have an Intel Core i7 CPU
    - Must weigh (at most) 3.5 lbs
    - Must have 8+ GB RAM

And here's the question template:

1. What is your budget?
Show me whatever you've got. Cost is a decision making factor, but I'm willing to look at the top-shelf items.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
13.3" (or smaller). I'll be toting this thing around campus, I'm not messing around with anything that isn't portable.

3. What screen resolution do you want?
1080p preferred and minimum. I'll look at higher resolution screens, but they tend to drain battery unnecessarily fast, and the difference in pixel density isn't that important at this size.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Yes.

5. How much battery life do you need?
I'd like at least 6 hours or so, but that's just a rough estimate. Longer is better, though.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low, Medium or High)?
I'd like to be able to run games on this at minimum settings in 3 or 4 years, so I'd estimate being able to handle current games at medium-high settings would be enough power. Otherwise, I could just get a cheaper laptop now (that can handle current-gen games at medium-low settings for now) and build a mini-ITX/micro-ATX gaming tower in the next year or two, which would be much easier to upgrade--the new GTX 1070 is looking mighty appealing right now.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo/Video editing, Etc.)
If it can handle games like above, it should be able to handle anything else I throw at it. I'm guessing the majority will be writing papers and listening to music, though.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
500+ GB

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
I'd like to get something that lasts me through university, so I'm looking to squeeze about 4.5 years out of this one, if I can.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
Nope!

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I'm open to everything.

13. What country do you live in?
VfpJWGDh.jpg

(United States)

Solution
I ended up purchasing the Razer Blade Stealth. Unfortunately, no retailers have gotten their heads out of their... anal cavities, and realized that the 4K version is greatly inferior to the QHD version (more expensive, much less battery life, and the internal graphics are pretty weak for 4K anyways), so I had to order it directly from Razer.

I got the $1200 configuration (QHD with 256GB SSD), which, after a 5% student discount and [strike]theft[/strike] taxes ended up being about $1210. I also ordered Windows 8.1 Pro from Newegg, because I refuse to deal with the UI and security nightmare that is Windows 10.

NelsonGray

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
I've narrowed it down to 10 options, in no particular order. I will post again when I make a final choice.

• - 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina display
    - 13-inch MacBook Air
    - Dell XPS 13 Touch 9350
    - Dell XPS 15 Non-Touch 9550
    - Razer Blade Stealth
    - ZenBook UX303UB
    - Lenovo Ideapad 710S
    - Lenovo Yoga 900
    - HP Spectre 13-v021nr
    - HP Spectre x360 13-4195dx

NelsonGray

Estimable
Nov 25, 2015
I ended up purchasing the Razer Blade Stealth. Unfortunately, no retailers have gotten their heads out of their... anal cavities, and realized that the 4K version is greatly inferior to the QHD version (more expensive, much less battery life, and the internal graphics are pretty weak for 4K anyways), so I had to order it directly from Razer.

I got the $1200 configuration (QHD with 256GB SSD), which, after a 5% student discount and [strike]theft[/strike] taxes ended up being about $1210. I also ordered Windows 8.1 Pro from Newegg, because I refuse to deal with the UI and security nightmare that is Windows 10.

Solution