Looking for a decent work/gaming laptop to use in College.

guardianxr

Honorable
Nov 3, 2013
Hello everyone,

Currently I'm planning on buying a new laptop for Law School and I need some help on what to get. Currently my budget is around $800.00, though I can go up if necessary, and I have found a few different options that may meet what I want.The laptop will be used for a ton of document preparation and web surfing, for legal research of course. as well double as a secondary gaming computer for friends to play if they come over and/or when I am away from my desktop. I'm looking for an i7 if possible, solid battery life (doesn't have to be the top priority), and solid, quality construction that will last as long as possible. I have copied some of links to laptops below that seem to be good deals and would appreciate the assistance in figuring out which one is the best option for my money.

Asus
Best Buy Link

Lenovo z50
Lenovo Site

Acer
This one seems a great deal but I sadly do not live near a store and it seems unavailable online. Slick Deals link Store Link

Lenovo y410p
Slick Deals Link
- I also heard the y510p is the best 800 gaming laptop, but I cant find it for under 1000!

I appreciate your help in this matter and look forward to your answers. Also if you are wondering if I need a touchscreen and/or ultra book I do not. I am not the biggest Mac fan thus all the PC laptops are what I have been looking at.

Solution
Hey guardianxr, I'm glad you come to tomshardware to solve your problems. After reading through your post and looking at all the options, I think I've found an answer for you. The best laptop from the ones you linked would be the Acer Aspire V3-572G-7609, this is because of the the Intel i7 at 2ghz, the 1TB HDD, the 16GB of DDR3 RAM, and NVIDA 840M gpu. However, you said this unavailabe near your location. Because of this, I would recommend the HP Envy because of i7-4712HQ, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and other great things. Hopefully you consider it and hopefully I helped. If you have any questions feel free to tag me in a reply or private message me.

that beats out everything else so far, gtx 850M is the best out of the options youve listed.

V0RTEX

Honorable
Nov 13, 2013
Hey guardianxr, I'm glad you come to tomshardware to solve your problems. After reading through your post and looking at all the options, I think I've found an answer for you. The best laptop from the ones you linked would be the Acer Aspire V3-572G-7609, this is because of the the Intel i7 at 2ghz, the 1TB HDD, the 16GB of DDR3 RAM, and NVIDA 840M gpu. However, you said this unavailabe near your location. Because of this, I would recommend the HP Envy because of i7-4712HQ, 8GB DDR3 RAM, and other great things. Hopefully you consider it and hopefully I helped. If you have any questions feel free to tag me in a reply or private message me.

Solution