Looking for a gaming laptop with low heat index

SetaSoujirou55

Estimable
Apr 9, 2014
I am currently looking for a new gaming laptop. I know desktops are better for price and performance when it comes to a gaming machine but I enjoy the mobility and the comfort of a laptop. One of my big issues is I sit with the laptop actually on my lap (crazy idea I know). All the gaming laptops I have had have overheating issues even when taking extra care to not cover up the vent on the bottom of the laptop. The laptops can run idle for hours and not seem to heat up the laptop but as soon as I open anything that requires the graphics card to run harder theyve all seemed to get extremely hot. I play WoW and Diablo 3 regularly but usually have them set on the lowest possible graphics and turn off everything I possibly can. I was hoping to find a laptop that will not heat up when running those games preferably at higher graphics but the most important part to me is that it will stay cool. I know I can use a cooling pad but that just seems to delay the issue for me not correct it and I prefer not having to use one. I also have dusted out my current laptop even to the point of removing all the parts and rebuilding it so please do not suggest that because it was already tried. So if anyone knows of a laptop that can stay cool even after hours of intense graphics running please let me know.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Asus g750, plus theyre new models with the new 860m-865m-870m-880m. Heat def not an issue with asus

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013
If you read any review on the asus, you'll find almost (9/10) recommend you buy it, but even the not 100% positive reviews will ALL tell you that heat/cooling is not an issue with the asus at all, and fan noise is lowest of them all as well.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

No offense, but if your not going to help at all or in the very least amount except for to sit back and claim totally theoretical laws of physics, especially such a very broad claim, then what are you doing on here posting?

First Law of Thermodynamics
The change in a system's internal energy is equal to the difference between heat added to the system from its surroundings and work done by the system on its surroundings.
Second Law of Thermodynamics:
It is impossible for a process to have as its sole result the transfer of heat from a cooler body to a hotter one.
Third Law of Thermodynamics:
1.It is impossible to reduce any system to absolute zero in a finite series of operations.
2.The entropy of a perfect crystal of an element in its most stable form tends to zero as the temperature approaches absolute zero.
3.As temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a system approaches a constant

Ok, so now you've read the laws of physics that apply to this category. So now what? It saying that energy use creates heat, heat has to be transferred, and its impossible for a laptop to run cooler than its surrounding ambient temperature? Great!

Now, OP, you want a laptop that you can use without it getting blistering hot and burning your lap, correct?
If you read any laptop review, they will note that subject, and usually use 95 degrees as their maximum allowable temperature to favor that particular laptop. They usually record temps on keyboard, mousepad/track pad, palm rests, exhaust vents, bottom of laptop, as well as a few other areas.

So to add my 2 cents, the asus g750 (from everything ive read which are hundreds of articles, professional reviews, and user reviews, as well as my own personal experience with 2 now) is a great laptop with exceptional cooling. Now I don't know that you'd want a 10lb 17" laptop sitting on your lap as you play, nor do I see how you can keyboard and mouse that way and id recommend using a desk or tv tray or something. But the bottom of the laptop, where your lap would be touching, on the asus stays comfortable. No its not icy cold, but its no warmer than you just setting a laptop while its off on your lap. I say that as anything on your lap will prohibit an amount of heat to be transferred from your lap into the air, acting as a blanket if you will.

But from all reviews that I remember, and within a decent price/performance, the asus g750 will run cooler/quieter, msi gt series also offers good cooling but fan noise will get louder in order to keep up, the gigabyte pk I believe offers decent cooling but loud fans, and alienware costs so much/uses a single fan/gets loud/but offers decent cooling.

Yes there are models that aren't included in there, but from my $1200-1700 gaming laptop broad search category this is what I came up with for my own selection. Which is why I chose asus, I don't game, I render/3d graphics/edit which uses 100% cpu and 50-75% gpu and I know that makes things hot, so cool and quiet laptop was my main concern. And asus offering that for a low $1300, awesome! MSI a little more but I believe they offer the 880m in that package.

Dblkk

Honorable
Oct 30, 2013

Since your just going to stick by the laws of physics, then you don't own or use a laptop or pc? Since the laws of physics you know? PC will warm up ambient air more than a laptop will, so that's what im theoretising to get you don't use pc's either. Perhaps maybe a server connected computer.........nope, that just puts data load elsewhere, but still adds pc core components which add the most heat. You my friend should probably use only a new haswell i3, and maybe a 750i, since they put off the least amount of heat. Good luck with that.

I also don't buy sports car/bike/products due to heat/noise/gas consumption, using the laws of physics to base that on. I bike everywhere, since even consumer class/budget class vehicles also emit those 'annoyances'.